norwegian26

Long term stay for a 26 year old

andy
On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 9:20 AM, Parrothead said:

Underpaid for doing freelance work as an online moderator? I have to disagree here. That's decent money.

It's not too bad money. I suppose paid on commission.

Quite a few years ago when I was staying in Jomtien I knew of three remote workers, who worked for British Petroleum on a self-employed agreement.

Yes, I know it is oil money again, but still makes the OPs salary look small in comparison. The thing is they had all planned to meet up there, before they would go once again their own separate ways.

Why because they, would move on spending the little monies on travel rather than becoming residents and paying large tax bills.

• Like 1

andy
23 minutes ago, dicey eye said:

I'm of the opinion that authorities now peruse social media (like this forum) to acquire information on the expat posters, so in that possibly paranoid context I will refrain from citing any examples of "palm greasing". Simply put, they spy on us.

100% that is the case on social media. Facebook possibly being number one.

27 minutes ago, dicey eye said:

Though just in economic terms those government workers do need a pay raise, so draw your own conclusions

Quotes on the prices of extensions early in the thread, is the solid way around the direct pay rise, without the personal need of corruption. 

I think times are on the change. 

• Thanks 1

Parrothead
21 minutes ago, andy said:

I think times are on the change. 

I recall when I first arrived - my very first trip, to the Philippines. I saw a Filipino doing something regarding work, that would never be allowed in the US. I don't recall exactly what it was, now. But, I do remember asking another expat who was showing me around at the time, "Why is that guy doing that? He could get himself seriously injured." He simply replied, "Paul, do you like the exchange rate like it is?" Naturally, I said yes. He then continued with, "Then don't ask questions. Just appreciate things as they are." 

So, for me anyway, I don't want to see a lot of change. If so, this (any Third-World) country could become a not-so-good-place to live. I've seen the Philippines exchange go to an all time high at 56 Php to $1.00 USD. This was for a very brief time, back in 2005. I would like to see that again, truthfully. Over the last several years, it has slowly crept up to where it is now. I hope this trend continues, as I still have USD related interests in the Philippines.

Parrothead
1 hour ago, andy said:

But now do you, and any forum members believe that of today?

Probably, to some degree, this still exists. But, even back in 2012, when I was living in Thailand, I offered bribes to police, who refused. Keep in mind, I was willing to pay them more than the fine would be, just so I didn't have to take the time to go pay the fine. Here, however, much different.

Here in Cambodia, well, in SHV anyway, the police there would take a bribe at the drop of a hat. Whenever I paid one, it was $1.00, for every occasion of stopping me. The good thing was, that dollar was good for a day - without a helmet, etc. 

So, what I am getting at here is, corruption is still here, I am fairly sure. Often, though, I don't look at corruption quite the same way others do. Typically, it is just a way to fast track what you want - filing government papers, getting approvals that would take months, otherwise, etc. So, a little corruption, in my mind, isn't always a bad thing. 

norwegian26
14 minutes ago, Parrothead said:

I recall when I first arrived - my very first trip, to the Philippines. I saw a Filipino doing something regarding work, that would never be allowed in the US. I don't recall exactly what it was, now. But, I do remember asking another expat who was showing me around at the time, "Why is that guy doing that? He could get himself seriously injured." He simply replied, "Paul, do you like the exchange rate like it is?" Naturally, I said yes. He then continued with, "Then don't ask questions. Just appreciate things as they are." 

So, for me anyway, I don't want to see a lot of change. If so, this (any Third-World) country could become a not-so-good-place to live. I've seen the Philippines exchange go to an all time high at 56 Php to $1.00 USD. This was for a very brief time, back in 2005. I would like to see that again, truthfully. Over the last several years, it has slowly crept up to where it is now. I hope this trend continues, as I still have USD related interests in the Philippines.

Belive you me, as things are going now the USD will be soooo high vs the peso under the current administration. Has just kept going up and up and up and up.

Usually a bad idea to talk about ANYTHING politically here in PH but I just had to say it :p

Just last week 5 mayors were killed here, far from Mindanao also... Getting more and more unstable it seems like. Been here for five years and only under the new administration ive ever been robbed, was by four guys in Makati.

Beaten down and kicked and punched before they cleaned my pockets. Of course it could have happened before the election also but I cant say their (well his) tactics are working... Not much safer and blablabla.... 

Just my 2 cents about PH now and also one of the reasons I want to try out Cambodia instead, plus the interner here sucks and its sooo overpriced ;p

• Shocked 1

dicey eye
7 minutes ago, Parrothead said:

Typically, it is just a way to fast track what you want - filing government papers, getting approvals that would take months, otherwise, etc. So, a little corruption, in my mind, isn't always a bad thing. 

I agree with you 100% - when in Rome do as the Romans do.

• Like 1

Parrothead
1 hour ago, norwegian26 said:

Usually a bad idea to talk about ANYTHING politically here in PH but I just had to say it

We won't rat you out, as long as you make continuous payments to us every month. :D:D:D

1 hour ago, norwegian26 said:

Just my 2 cents about PH now and also one of the reasons I want to try out Cambodia instead, plus the interner here sucks and its sooo overpriced ;p

I will say, the internet is more reliable, as well as faster here, than in the Philippines. For the most part, anyway. I think some people now have some decent, fast connections there.

John_Galt
1 hour ago, Parrothead said:

So, a little corruption, in my mind, isn't always a bad thing

I would rather "pay" for a government service as needed. Instead of prepaying like the states and end up paying for stupid shit like " Cocaine and the sexual habits of quail". To me the later is way more corrupt. 

• Like 1

Parrothead
Just now, John_Galt said:

" Cocaine and the sexual habits of quail".

I once knew a professor at a local college, back home. He and I were having a chat one afternoon, talking about useless programs and such that tons of money was spent on, back then.

I don't recall the amount now, but it was an ungodly amount of money. But, authorized research on ants, where they reproduced a scent a dead ant excretes after dying. Apparently, this is how ants know to take their dead to the "ant burial grounds". The researcher put a drop of this on a live ant, and counted the number of times they carried this ant to the burial ground. Naturally, because he wasn't dead, he kept walking back to the ant mound. And, they continued to carry him right back - because he must be dead. Anyway, it ended up being something like 22 times, that they carried their comrade to the burial ground, before the scent finally dissipated. Now, what use could that possibly be, in our world? A complete and total waste of money. 

• Like 1

Oz Jon
1 hour ago, Parrothead said:

I once knew a professor at a local college, back home. He and I were having a chat one afternoon, talking about useless programs and such that tons of money was spent on, back then.

I don't recall the amount now, but it was an ungodly amount of money. But, authorized research on ants, where they reproduced a scent a dead ant excretes after dying. Apparently, this is how ants know to take their dead to the "ant burial grounds". The researcher put a drop of this on a live ant, and counted the number of times they carried this ant to the burial ground. Naturally, because he wasn't dead, he kept walking back to the ant mound. And, they continued to carry him right back - because he must be dead. Anyway, it ended up being something like 22 times, that they carried their comrade to the burial ground, before the scent finally dissipated. Now, what use could that possibly be, in our world? A complete and total waste of money. 

Don't jump to conclusions too fast Paul.

While that bit of "ant habits pure research" appears to be a useless waste of somebody's/taxpayers money, "pure research" has produced some of the most important advances in very useful science over the years.

Who would have guessed that a couple of guys investigating why some materials (semi-conductors, like rare and apparently useless Germanium) conduct electricity much better than insulators, but not as well as metals, would end up inventing the first crude transistor .... what a revolution that bit of "pure research" resulted in!

There have been numerous other examples of "pure research" leading to very worthwhile outcomes, particularly in medicine and physics.

Its just about impossible to predict, in advance, which research will be useful and which won't.

So I guess we should support "pure research" with at least a modest amount of business/taxpayer's money.... One good winner will easily pay for all the losers!

Cheers

• Like 2