Parrothead

Ever just want to pull your hair out?

Parrothead

Oh, the perimeter lights came on this evening, as they should have. I'm impressed by Mutt & Jeff's work, well, partially. I am just glad that breathing is an involuntary bodily function. :D 

Bill H

Rambling Thoughts

I recently discovered the voice to text feature on my iPad, not sure why it took so long for me to do that, but it did.  So far, I like it and I'm using it more frequently.  For reliability, nothing beats a desktop.

Did I mention I miss my bike?  That meany wife of mine won't let me buy one here, she is afraid I'll kill myself, but on the other hand better that than withering away in some hospital bed.

I'm missing Asia.  There are certainly some good things here, but still, I miss Asia.  With Cambodia in the tank and becoming a Chinses province, I'm not sure where to do.  I will not live in a Muslim Country and the Philippine judicial system is so highly biased against foreigners, plus the corruption, I won't live there.  I'm not a fan of Thailand due to their visa restrictions.  Hungary is starting to look pretty good though!  LOL

• Like 1

Parrothead
2 minutes ago, Bill H said:

Rambling Thoughts

I recently discovered the voice to text feature on my iPad, not sure why it took so long for me to do that, but it did.  So far, I like it and I'm using it more frequently.  For reliability, nothing beats a desktop.

Did I mention I miss my bike?  That meany wife of mine won't let me buy one here, she is afraid I'll kill myself, but on the other hand better that than withering away in some hospital bed.

I'm missing Asia.  There are certainly some good things here, but still, I miss Asia.  With Cambodia in the tank and becoming a Chinses province, I'm not sure where to do.  I will not live in a Muslim Country and the Philippine judicial system is so highly biased against foreigners, plus the corruption, I won't live there.  I'm not a fan of Thailand due to their visa restrictions.  Hungary is starting to look pretty good though!  LOL

Ecuador? Somewhere in Central America? 

I would not be able to type those little keys on my iPhone. I use Talk to Text all the time. What is scary is, if it prints something wrong, I correct the spelling manually. After a few times of correcting it, it learns. THAT is scary.

andy
8 hours ago, dicey eye said:

I'm an old fashioned dude, prefer the laptop to the cell phone.

I'm all thumbs when it comes to tablet use.

I am with you dicey, all thumbs and they are too large. One slip or false move on the phone screen! "Shit what the hell just happened". Leave the mobile for the young tapper rapper generation! I am still young, maybe in my head, is that what happens to getting older?

Tablets! I only use mine now for listening to music or watching a movie.

Laptop ohhh yes, how I miss you xxx

3 hours ago, Parrothead said:

I stopped using laptops in 2014, I think it was. I'm back to desktops and intend to stay with them until they are gone, or I am, either way. 

I use tablets only when absolutely necessary. Mostly, I use them to read eBooks and such. I rarely surf or even use email on them.

Last time I had a desktop Paul, and you can quote me if I have the numbers wrong. It was a 486 with a DVD drive and the monitor was large, not in screen size, but I mean huge in size. It was my first and only desktop I can recall. Before I had an Amega. Before that a Vic20. My first ZX81, I do miss the flight simulator on that one.

My friends had great desktops, and I had seen your super machine.

I never got any further due to being mobile with the need for work. And then too and frow with travel. Laptop was the only way.

• Like 1

Parrothead
10 minutes ago, andy said:

Last time I had a desktop Paul, and you can quote me if I have the numbers wrong. It was a 486 with a DVD drive and the monitor was large, not in screen size, but I mean huge in size. It was my first and only desktop I can recall. Before I had an Amega. Before that a Vic20. My first ZX81, I do miss the flight simulator on that one.

My friends had great desktops, and I had seen your super machine.

I never got any further due to being mobile with the need for work. And then too and frow with travel. Laptop was the only way.

A 486 was a looooooooong time ago, man. My first start was a TRS-80 Color Computer. But, I used Commodores in my computer classes. 

I stopped using laptops for the same reason you continued. I did not want to be obligated while on holiday, etc. And, I knew, if I took a laptop with me anywhere, I would be tempted to log online and check my websites. Going back to desktops was my first taste of freedom, prior to liquidating my websites and online forums. 

Personally, I have a LOT more fun on this forum, posting on and working in the background, assisting John @John_Galt with ACP and a little server side stuff, when and where I can. It just seems different when you no longer have 100% responsibility of ownership of a forum.

Edited by Parrothead
  • Like 1
  • Happy 1

dicey eye
7 hours ago, Parrothead said:

Ecuador? Somewhere in Central America? 

If things went sour for me in Cambodia I'd relocate to Nicaragua's Caribbean coast. Bluefields. Isolated and originally settled by England. Named after a pirate. Would suit my jungle fever just fine.

• Like 3

syzmic
4 hours ago, Parrothead said:

A 486 was a looooooooong time ago, man. My first start was a TRS-80 Color Computer. But, I used Commodores in my computer classes

This brings back some fond memories.  My first computer was a VIC 20.   I loved that little thing.  I loaded it up with as much memory as it could hold  and started hacking, both the hardware and the software.  I learned machine language from a book and had fun for years busting games and other things.  Most of the programs came in cartridges.  I would modify them (removed the protection) to run in free RAM and then gave them to my friends.  When the C64 came out I continued with that for a few more years.  I wound up with over a thousand hacked programs and probably only paid for 3 of them

.  Them wuz the "good old days "... :ph34r::thumbs_up:

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1

andy
56 minutes ago, syzmic said:

This brings back some fond memories.  My first computer was a VIC 20.   I loved that little thing.  I loaded it up with as much memory as it could hold  and started hacking, both the hardware and the software.  I learned machine language from a book and had fun for years busting games and other things.  Most of the programs came in cartridges.  I would modify them (removed the protection) to run in free RAM and then gave them to my friends.  When the C64 came out I continued with that for a few more years.  I wound up with over a thousand hacked programs and probably only paid for 3 of them

.  Them wuz the "good old days "... :ph34r::thumbs_up:

I must admit I had hours of fun. Had the book too. All that keying in and anticipation for a small pixel to travel from one corner of the TV screen to the next. :o It was really so much fun.

Don't remember the cartridges. I know there was. I remember the cassettes. We could get them on the car boot cheap at the time.

vic20.2.png.260ab5c9245abd460a3a91ce5688778a.png

Here it is.

My friend had a comador 64. Hours of fun with him and his family copying out of a book once more.

My nephew had what no one had in our little group. A spectrum! Super tech at the time. 

• Like 1

dicey eye

You guys are way ahead of me. Was living in a Garifuna village on the Caribbean Sea in the mid 80s. No electricity or potable water.

Didn't get my first computer till 1996 or 97. Still primarily use it as a typewriter.

• Funny 1