andy

Now you see me. Now you don't.

Parrothead
6 hours ago, andy said:

Replanting costs. Who wants to pay?

Apparently, no one, sadly. 

I guess, when they run out of forests, they will have yet another product needing to be imported. 

angbumabasa

The Phiippines had the same problem. Much of the hill country here in S. Leyte is bare. Now, however, we on the farm must get a permit before allowing us to cut down a rotting coconut palm. Further the local governments have been on a decade long effort at replanting. It will take a very long time to recover from the clear cutting, if ever, of the past.   :sad:

Parrothead
4 hours ago, angbumabasa said:

Much of the hill country here in S. Leyte is bare.

I may be wrong, as it has been far too many years. But, IIRC, it was Southern Leyte, where they had logged so much, that mud from the rains came down and completely destroyed a village, killing people there. Buried them under tons and tons of mud. 

BTW, I love that part of the country, especially the Hilongos and Baybay areas. (Yes, I realize that isn't actually "Southern Leyte". I was speaking more generically.)

Edited by Parrothead

angbumabasa
2 minutes ago, Parrothead said:

I may be wrong, as it has been far too many years. But, IIRC, it was Southern Leyte, where they had logged so much, that mud from the rains came down and completely destroyed a village, killing people there. Buried them under tons and tons of mud. 

BTW, I love that part of the country, especially the Hilongos and Baybay areas.

Yeah. You are right. The Negritos living up in the top of Cabalia Volcano had warned DNR long before it happened that cracks were developing in the denuded soil below where they lived. DNR issued a warning to those living below to move, including the whole Brg'y that got buried. Nobody took it seriously so look what happened. Everybody and their cousin from here in the western part took action to help but it was way too late. It could be said that the landslide was the beginning of the awareness of the denuding of the hill country and led to local efforts to recover. Nationally every chainsaw must be registered and it's use logged. Just as stiff as firearms. ALL cutting must approved: hardwood by DNR, softwood by Brg'y Capt. AND logged and certs archived. Clearcutting not allowed.

"BTW, I love that part of the country, especially the Hilongos and Baybay areas" Many small communities like that, to some extent, still loo like they did 20yrs ago. I first came here in 1997 and Maasin looked like that. No more. Even here just SE on the coast it's changing rapidly. But from here to Sogod via Burgos    it's pretty much like it was back then. I love waking every morning to the surf and on weekends to cries and squeals of kids on the beach. And just taking a drive going to Bato or Malitbog is very pleasant. Just look out for the dogs laying in the road when traffic is light. Although that could be one way of supporting the local economy since a small dead one is worth about P200 for Lechon Iro. :D

• Thanks 1
  • Love it! 1