luvthai2003

Power

luvthai2003

About what time are the daily power outages and for how long usually? I got used to early evenings for power cuts for an hour or two and water cuts all night long until whenever the next day while living in the Philippines. Had to load up on the water when it was running by filling up contractor buckets, bottles, jugs, etc. 

• Thanks 1

Parrothead
15 hours ago, luvthai2003 said:

About what time are the daily power outages and for how long usually? I got used to early evenings for power cuts for an hour or two and water cuts all night long until whenever the next day while living in the Philippines. Had to load up on the water when it was running by filling up contractor buckets, bottles, jugs, etc. 

I have lived in a number of different locations, both in Battambang and Sihanoukville. I experienced 1 - 14 hours power cut while in SHV. Aside from that, there were TONs of them, at any given hour, up to 6 or 8 hours in length. I wouldn't live there now, even with no Chinese invasion, without a generator.

I have experienced a single 4 hours power cut, since moving to BTB (very late 2013). Aside from that, there have been a number of up to 2 hours power cuts, at any given hour. Not a lot, mind you. But, once, maybe twice a week at times. Then, maybe a number of weeks with no power cut at all. 

While BTB is nowhere near as bad as during my time in SHV, I finally decided to pay the Phnom Penh Honda Dealer a visit. It is located across from the airport. They just happened to sell Honda Inverter Generators. While not cheap - in any sense of the word, those little generators are tough as nails. (Honda EU20i's cost $888 USD, going on 2 years ago.) Now, I never experience a power cut. Wherever I am, I am "Blackout Proof".

If you are considering Phnom Penh as your destination, you will have fewer power cuts than any other city in the country, I am fairly sure. I don't think I have ever experienced one, during my visits to the city.

Regarding water services here, in Battambang, we had a single water outage one night, for maybe an hour? 

• Like 1

mollydooker

Those  8 hour  power cuts and I am sure some were even longer was my main reason for leaving SHV ...they were the worst I have ever experienced ... never ever that I remember experienced any cut in PP or SR .... here in Manila never ever ....but many provinces have them all the time ...in Angeles at least they notify the consumer a week or so ahead !!

• Like 1

luvthai2003

mollydocker, I was living in Caticlan on the northern tip of Panay, the Gateway to Boracay. In fact, I was taking care of my friends' new resort that was located half way up Tabon Hill in the damn jungle. It was an experience...

• Like 2

dicey eye
1 hour ago, mollydooker said:

Those  8 hour  power cuts and I am sure some were even longer was my main reason for leaving SHV ...

The five years I lived in SHV I virtually never experienced a power outage more than an hour! The reason was I resided on Victory Hill and my $50 per month apartment was on the same line as the brewery. Beer is king. So when all the rest of SHV would have extended blackouts, I still had juice.

Edited by dicey eye
  • Like 2

Parrothead
5 hours ago, dicey eye said:

The five years I lived in SHV I virtually never experienced a power outage more than an hour! The reason was I resided on Victory Hill and my $50 per month apartment was on the same line as the brewery. Beer is king. So when all the rest of SHV would have extended blackouts, I still had juice.

Another line in SHV that was never cut, was the one going to the - jail or prison? I forget what it is there, now. Either way, there were a couple of apartment complexes on that same feeder, one in particular that I remember, that had no need for a backup generator. 

dicey eye

Luck of the draw - in SHV directly across the street from the compound I lived in didn't have electricity. On a different line.They could readily see we had power - just a few meters away - must have pissed them off big-time

andy

Electricity and water are very important to a small, but growing city. 

But this I would say, must be put on the high list too.

wp_ss_20180727_0004.thumb.png.1cdf7d5cc479f5b49cefa070cf14a540.pngwp_ss_20180727_0003.thumb.png.70011a1863dd41ba2920371a23fec0b5.png

Edited by andy

dicey eye

Waste disposal is of growing concern.

In PoiPet the majority of the residents in my neighborhood burn their trash nightly. Smoking times. Here comes black lung disease.

Edited by dicey eye

Parrothead
6 hours ago, dicey eye said:

Waste disposal is of growing concern.

In PoiPet the majority of the residents in my neighborhood burn their trash nightly. Smoking times. Here comes black lung disease.

They do the same in a lot of areas, I have seen. Especially the burning of old tires. :(

In the Philippines, we used to call this the 5 o'clock habit, as that is when it usually started. You could go up to "Tops", above Cebu City, and look down on the smoke filling the city and sky above it.