Blackeye

The Deedleware Services Box

Blackeye

So I recently bought a cheap refurbished PC that's about the size of a typical router (about 7x7x2 or so) with quite small power requirements to match its small size. I then installed free (or licens included) software to implement the following 'core services' for my LAN:

• Linux and an installation of Oracle Virtualbox, which is used to run the following virtual machines ..
  • An OpenVPN server that runs two OpenVPN tunnels, one running as UDP and one as TCP. TCP is useful for tunnelling out of places where the operators don't want you to tunnel out of. 
  • A small FreeNAS server. This is useful for times when the only systems running at home are the WAN, router, and this little box. For a very low power and heat budget you can have a place where you can upload and store files while you are away. 
  • I used the included Windows license to run a VM that has WIn10 on it, and on that I installed iSpy, a video surveillance package. This package also logs 7-10 days of time lapse and motion triggered video+audio to the NAS, above.
  • OPTIONAL: I've also got the Domain Controller for my LAN on this box. 

The machine:

51BAkxlWHJL._SL1000_.jpg

It has a modest i3 CPU and 8gb of ram. I added a 750gb drive I had laying around and an m.2 SATA 500gb drive, and upgraded to 16gb. It could have gone without those things but it runs better now. 

I'll include a more detailed how-to later. 

Edited by Blackeye
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Parrothead
18 minutes ago, Blackeye said:

I'll include a more detailed how-to later.

I'm definitely looking forward to this. Thank you.

• Like 1

Blackeye

OK so I'll start with a high level how to - it's remarkably simple really.

That's basically it, but there are a few other tings, including getting FreeNAS running and automatically starting and stopping Virtualbox that make it reallt a finished system. I'll write that up later.

Happy trails.

Edited by Blackeye
  • Thanks 1

Parrothead

I'm considering using one of my old desktops as a NAS. Room to add extra drives, and is running 16 Gigs of RAM.

AND I already have a Win 10 Pro license for it. I already have Ubuntu Mate v18.04 downloaded, as well. 

Perhaps, this will also encourage me to update my other desktop, since it was current tech in late 2014. 

Edited by Parrothead

Blackeye

Here is the RDP view of mine.

image.thumb.png.4187488369151c6ba206ddc145a8d773.png

I had to scale it down to upload it, sorry. 

Notice the CPU load is pretty low, and the RDP session (which isn't generally running) is one of the top CPU users. Typically if you look via SSH the load looks more like this:

image.thumb.png.6859024ccdacbab093c1bfc8da8fe287.png

• Like 1

Parrothead

Thanks for the screenshots, man. 

It will be nice to put all my movies, television series, and music, all in one location - for a change. And, this will free up some external USB hard drives, as well.

Blackeye

I'll cover the finishing touches later, I'll probably be really busy the next 10-14 days.

John_Galt

Is there a specific reason you need windows 10 pro over a different version?  

Blackeye
12 hours ago, John_Galt said:

Is there a specific reason you need windows 10 pro over a different version?  

Windows home doesn't include RDP. 

• Thanks 1