andy

Return journey

andy

had fruit and coffee too. Photos from the other side of the building.

WP_20180810_09_33_44_Pro_LI.thumb.jpg.ed2fdffa3674c2c8505016299416a4d0.jpg

WP_20180810_09_32_40_Pro_LI.thumb.jpg.0f05e7f24af0ac6a53c07d4fa372d667.jpg

andy

WP_20180810_09_33_25_Pro_LI.thumb.jpg.534a27afc9b5a45a7dc779d8b79e5c97.jpg

Kien Khleang Pagoda.

dicey eye
2 hours ago, andy said:

Photos from the other side of the building.

Phnom Penh appears much less dirty seen from your eagles' perspective.

Waters of the Tonle Sap River seem muddy-funky.

andy

Went to Phnom Penh riverside lastnight to have dinner. One of my favourite restaurants is a Khmer place that also sells Indian curry, Khmer food and western delights. I chose the chicken madras with nan bread. The place got extremely busy with a group of Indian tourists. I've seen this most times I eat there. Starters and mains are low in price, the curry I had with nan bread and rice, followed with two draft beers. 5.50 dollar. The meal was cooked excellent and good value. We managed to get a seat outside at the end of our meal, finished the drinks and up to another restaurant I like for their large choice of pizza. Take away.

Medium sized thin crust pepperoni, with extra very happy. So a couple of slices before bed, and a good night's sleep.

The sleep was too good due too the happy! Woke up at 12.30. Check out time was thirty minutes ago, reception was fine about our late check out. 

So onwards with our travel by moto.

Like I thought  too much water to go the river route. 

20180811_170234.thumb.jpg.16a942e156fa153f17e2ec6657e0c6bb.jpg

It had started to rain on the ride later on. We stoped for food and coffee, now the rain was heavy.. 

andy

The food was good.

20180811_135929.thumb.jpg.e1ae88c60be7b7638f3c96ee9588e9fe.jpg

I was happy with just coffee. Although, with getting up late, we had missed our breakfast at the hotel. But no worries 3 slices of last night's pizza served cold was okay for me.

When we had finished, the staff wanted to close the cafe. I would have rather stayed with it raining. There was no rush to go on in this downpour. My little lady thoughts where alike. Doors closed, one of the staff, guided us away from the main route were we could get a good massage. It was a little out of the way at a row of Khmer rooms, with a roofed area outside, hammocks and the typical seated table for social eating and drinking. Welcomed by five masseuse ladies it was relaxation for an hour of pampering.

1217324093_FullerMassageTherapy-MassageHumor.jpg.18969778fd35e24d3cdd799737e73146.jpg

When done, we sat there under the shelter for some time. When the rain started to ease it was time to make a move, first shop and a plastic rain coat was in order.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

Dante
On 10 August 2018 at 11:38 AM, dicey eye said:

I know what you mean. When I was editor of the PM's newspaper many upscale hotels offered accommodations for free, (hoping for media coverage, I assume). Stayed at a few US$1000 -$2000 a night suites. Was initially impressed but at the same time felt a little awkward. Slightly out of place. Director Francis Ford Copula and Leonardo DiCaprio have resorts there. Very elegant, though not really my cup of tea.

Preferred the $10 per month thatched roof cabana in Seine Bight village to the ritzy places.

On 10 August 2018 at 11:23 AM, andy said:

Personally I think it's just not me

Never forget the time when I had to check out of a flash hotel  (NOT a $1000 a night place! )in Khon Kaen years ago. I was on a good paying job ( rare for me BTW ) and if we didn't fly back to Australia on our RnR, we got the flight cost  instead! Anyway after a day or two I checked out to a more normal place where I could wear casual clothes and have " casual" women without the looks from hotel staff and hiso customers!  I'm not normally so sensitive, but most of the other guests were business people in suits.

I had a ball in the other place, " those were the days my friend" ....but they did end!

And while I'm nice and "safe" here in Australia nowadays  I'm bored to death! Too chicken to do what you guys are doing...living life and taking a chance. 

:oldtimer: = Dante 

• Like 2

dicey eye
4 hours ago, andy said:

One of my favourite restaurants is a Khmer place that also sells Indian curry, Khmer food and western delights

What's the restaurant's name and exact location?

We'll stop there next journey to PP.

Will be a nice change of pace.

Rarely stray far from 51st Street.

Normally when Pip does her tri-monthly hospital trek to PP we stay around the corner from 51st Street, The multiplex cinema is just 4 lanes away and there are several eateries we gravitate to near Golden Sorya Plaza, like Martini’s Pizza, where we dine, Pip chats with old girlfriends and view the courting ritual sideshow.

Edited by dicey eye

Parrothead
7 hours ago, Dante said:

Too chicken to do what you guys are doing...living life and taking a chance. 

It's simple, mate. Take that first step and the rest is easy. But, for more, that is the difficult part of this journey.

Over my years in SEA, I have know many - many guys, who seemed as though they wanted to take the leap. (I originally moved to the Philippines in my early 30's and have been in SEA ever since, aside from a slight deviation to Oz and Kiwi for a year, which I was very happy and fortunate enough to have done.) I have known many guys who talked of taking the leap. But, for whatever reason(s), they never could take that first step. One such gentleman was an Englishman, a long time friend who died in England before ever moving to the Philippines. 

You just have to decide what's best for you. Are you happier living in Oz? Or, do you believe you would be happier in a country in SEA, with a (often, much) younger woman on your arm, to take care of you for the rest of your years? It's all what you feel is the best for you. It's your life to live. Just do what you feel would make you happiest. You won't live forever. So, you might as well do it like you want to do it - this time. 

Personally, my main reason for moving to SEA, was to escape the possibility of ever being forced to move to a home for the aged, when I was no longer able to care for myself. I've since added to that primary reason for continuing to live in this part of the world, when I could easily have returned to my homeland, at any time. So, aside from an occasional trip back to the US, only once actually thus far, and which was also on someone else's dime, I have continued to live in this part of the world. (I returned for a 3.5 month trip in late 2014, at the request of a friend, to look after his vineyard and farm.) I have considered returning for a full medical and to visit two family members whom I care about. (I'm the youngest of nine. But, most of my elder siblings can go feck themselves.) I have also wanted to return to buy things not available here, and bring them back in two large pieces of luggage, like I did on my last trip.

======================================================

Oh, personally, I think most Khmer food is shit. I don't do spicy. I'm a meat and potatoes kind of guy. So, I am happy with my imported beef and other foods, over meals a goat would appreciate. 

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1

dicey eye
10 hours ago, Dante said:

Too chicken to do what you guys are doing...living life and taking a chance. 

Since you're headed to Koh Kong you might consider stopping by forum member Andy's Whisper Bar for a chat and check out his western cuisine.

Also Andy knows his way around KK so possibly he could tour guide you to the Chicken Farm, maybe you won't be so hesitant after tasting the succulent morsels of chicken at the Farm.

• Like 1

Parrothead
1 hour ago, dicey eye said:

maybe you won't be so hesitant after tasting the succulent morsels of chicken at the Farm.

And, if you don't find that you like the chickens there, you may find yourself up in Battambang, where you can try the chickens we raise. I'm sure they taste very good. 

We are talkin' about chickens here, right?