dicey eye

Crazy Night in PoiPet

dicey eye

More Hospital Diaries:

Patient in bed #6 had an appendectomy this afternoon. The entire family is staying at the hospital with him.

40521526_1535496123263480_5890870975897010176_n.jpg

John_Galt
7 minutes ago, dicey eye said:

Patient in bed #6 had an appendectomy this afternoon. The entire family is staying at the hospital with him.

Better than the snake bite. 

mollydooker

Mr Dee looks very much older than his age ....also malnourished ...not a good way to be for the body to fight snake poison ...hope he makes a recovery !!

andy

He is very lucky indeed. I read somewhere if bitten go immediately to hospital where antivenom can be sort. Note free apparently for Khmer. Anyone know what for us?

With my luck and communication just of late. I have seen the blank looks lately, and we talked of the lies, not to give an answer is easier.   

dicey eye
5 hours ago, mollydooker said:

Mr Dee looks very much older than his age ....also malnourished

Yeah, he's 20 yrs younger than me.

Sad situation. He's all alone, no family. I've been buying him food since no one else has done jack-shit for him.

• Like 2
  • Happy 1

angbumabasa

Over here we have the Samarensis Cobra, small headed and the little green tree viper. The cobra is shy and will leave as soon as it can. Have seen one in our dirty kitchen. Bite would be very painful but not deadly. The little green one is the one to worry about since it is a tree creature, thus most bites are the head and neck aea, and they will strike often more times rapidly. 

Injuries from accidents: twice in the last six months, subjects taken to the ER, with obviously potential fatal injuries, were rejected since in both cases the ER required them to pay 300,000 pesos to even talk to them. Upon the taking of both patients to Cebu Doctors Hospital in Cebu, both were immediately informed that the injuries were fatal, given pain meds, and advised to return home to die. They both did. We knew both of them. The hospital is private and the administrator is a lawyer. SUX. :oldtimer:

Edited by angbumabasa

dicey eye
3 hours ago, andy said:

Note free apparently for Khmer. Anyone know what for us? 

You might try contacting the upscale private hospitals in PP to see if they have anti-venom. If one does, ask to buy enough to treat a cobra bite. Travel to PP, get the anti-venom, put it on ice in an ice chest, transport it back to KK and store it in your refrig. 

Note: Depending on the type, the wholesale cost in the developing world is 9.00 to 118.80 USD per vial. In the United States the wholesale cost is as high as 2,300 USD per dose.

Parrothead

16 hours ago, dicey eye said:

Do you have any experience of nocturnal snake bites? Why do snakes enter houses of people during the night?

In my 6.5 years in country, I have seen one snake. Thank God above, it wasn't at night.

About two months ago, a Moneculed Cobra just decided to hang around in our bathroom...

... with ME in the room...

... naked.

I was in the bathroom to have an afternoon shower, and had just undressed.

I didn't notice the creature until I saw something moving - or what I thought was moving, out of the corner of my eye. I got a good look at it, appearing to try to climb the wall (the snake, not me), as it made its way toward the far end of the bathroom. Maybe I had startled it and it was just trying to escape? Who knows? (Either way, thank God for us being smart enough to build a large bathroom.)

People, there are only two types of snakes I do not like - live ones and dead ones.

I screamed like a little girl, while expeditiously donning my shorts. I was, in my own way, letting Chan know what was happening (the screaming part, not the dressing part). 

She, appreciates and agrees with my "love" for scaly, slithering reptiles. Chan immediately hollered for her mother.

Her mom pushed past me, with a HUGE stick in hand, and closing the door behind her. Chan and I just stood there listening - in complete and utter amazement, as we heard what sounded like the stick making forceful contact with everything possible within the bathroom. I don't think there was anything she had not hit, inside the bathroom. And, something was getting the hell beat slap out of it.

A few minutes later, the victor - her mom, emerged from the bathroom with snake in hand - very, very dead. (I had, just prior, departed the area. See my previous statement above, regarding the kinds of snakes I don't like.)

Prior to this incident, I had NO idea that Moneculed Cobras were in this part of the world.

I know now.

7 hours ago, andy said:

Anyone know what for us?

For me, it would probably be a death sentence. I'm 30 Kilometers from the nearest hospital - even if they had the antivenom in stock. I would, most likely, be dead by the time we arrived at the hospital. 

• Like 1

John_Galt
15 minutes ago, Parrothead said:

In my 6.5 years in country, I have seen one snake. Thank God above, it wasn't at night.

About two months ago, a Moneculed Cobra just decided to hang around in our bathroom...

... with ME in the room...

... naked.

I was in the bathroom to have an afternoon shower, and had just undressed.

I didn't notice the creature until I saw something moving - or what I thought was moving, out of the corner of my eye. I got a good look at it, appearing to try to climb the wall (the snake, not me), as it made its way toward the far end of the bathroom. Maybe I had startled it and it was just trying to escape? Who knows? (Either way, thank God for us being smart enough to build a large bathroom.)

People, there are only two types of snakes I do not like - live ones and dead ones.

I screamed like a little girl, while expeditiously donning my shorts. I was, in my own way, letting Chan know what was happening (the screaming part, not the dressing part). 

She, appreciates and agrees with my "love" for scaly, slithering reptiles. Chan immediately hollered for her mother.

Her mom pushed past me, with a HUGE stick in hand, and closing the door behind her. Chan and I just stood there listening - in complete and utter amazement, as we heard what sounded like the stick making forceful contact with everything possible within the bathroom. I don't think there was anything she had not hit, inside the bathroom. And, something was getting the hell beat slap out of it.

A few minutes later, the victor - her mom, emerged from the bathroom with snake in hand - very, very dead. (I had, just prior, departed the area. See my previous statement above, regarding the kinds of snakes I don't like.)

Prior to this incident, I had NO idea that Moneculed Cobras even were in this part of the world.

I know now.

For me, it would probably be a death sentence. I'm 30 Kilometers from the nearest hospital - even if they had the antivenom in stock. I would, most likely, be dead by the time we arrived at the hospital. 

That would be a surprise!  

dicey eye
25 minutes ago, John_Galt said:

In my 6.5 years in country, I have seen one snake

Fortunate guy.

Maybe cause I gravitate to more woodsy-swampy areas I've met up with several serpents. Just one in SHV, 2 in BTB and 5 in PoiPet.

My PoiPet neighborhood is literally crawling with critters.