dicey eye

US $10 Cambodian Drivers License

dicey eye

How to Renew Your Expired Cambodian Drivers License Yourself in Phnom Penh for $10

Post by CEOCambodiaNews » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:41 pm

This was posted in a Cambodian Facebook Group: Cambodia Expats Online, :

"Hi all,

Ive just completed the process of renewing my Cambodian driving license (which expired 3 months ago).

Lucky Lucky is still quoting $35 for this service.

i did it today by myself. It took me 30 minutes. It cost me $10.

- Go to Ministry of Road Works and Transport (see link below).
- Bring a copy of your passport main page, copy of current visa in your passport, 5 passport photos, and your expired Cambodian license.
(if you are making a new Cambodian license application, also bring proof of your residential address).
- the cost is;
* 10,000 riel for the eye test and health test fee (conducted onsite) - laughable how easy it is.
* 30,000 riel for the renewal of the expired Cambodian drivers license
(or 24,000riel for a new Cambodian license)

The staff at the processing counter are the worst of all government employees. They are rude and unhelpful to the extreme. They wont even staple a photograph onto your form for you... they will tell you to staple it yourself and then come back (I had to go back and forth 6 times until they would finally accept my form). 

I spoke Khmer the entire time I did this, so I know that English speakers might find this process a little more tiresome than I did.

For that reason, I have made a quick and easy guide to going to this Ministry by yourself and renewing your old drivers license for only $10 and 30minutes of your time. Its also useful for people applying for a new Cambodian drivers license by themselves, and only speaking English.

See the link below;

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wwfajl3x1tck ... -e_ha?dl=0#

Best regards,
Dave

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Edited by dicey eye
  • Thanks 2

Parrothead

We are supposed to have driver's licenses here? Why? I am pretty certain the vast majority of Khmers have never seen a driver's license. 

phuketrichard
5 hours ago, Parrothead said:

We are supposed to have driver's licenses here? Why? I am pretty certain the vast majority of Khmers have never seen a driver's license. 

what a really stupid response ,even from you Paul;

without one and involved in an accident ,ur fucked

andy
6 hours ago, Parrothead said:

We are supposed to have driver's licenses here?

Depends on what you drive. 125cc Khmers don't need a license, and apparently nether do foreigners.

49 minutes ago, phuketrichard said:

Insurance would help. Don't know about License! If you would be unfortunate to have an accident with a Khmer, it would be obvious that it was your fault. Did you not know all foreigners don't know how to drive. 

• Like 2

John_Galt

$10 do it yourself $35 for an Agent. Might be worth the agent if you don't even have to show up just send the form and pictures. 

If you are driving a car without a license and get into an accident then you will definitely be the one blamed.
Having a license and a dashcam should save you if it clearly wasn't your fault. 

andy
1 hour ago, John_Galt said:

$10 do it yourself $35 for an Agent. Might be worth the agent if you don't even have to show up just send the form and pictures. 

The point of this now, is that the agent can't do this service for you anymore. (I may be wrong).

It's now the same price as a Khmer's. But you do the same has them to obtain. Fairness and progress is good, Yes?

• Like 1

Parrothead
6 hours ago, phuketrichard said:

what a really stupid response ,even from you Paul;

And WITH a valid license, as a foreigner, you wouldn't be liable, even if not at fault, Richard? You nor I are new to SEA

By the way, the first part of my reply was a new concept, :sarcasm:.

5 hours ago, andy said:

Depends on what you drive. 125cc Khmers don't need a license, and apparently nether do foreigners.

200cc Shadow. So, I would be required to possess a valid license.

dicey eye
27 minutes ago, Parrothead said:

200cc Shadow. So, I would be required to possess a valid license. 

I was under the impression you had a 199cc Phantom, not Shadow. Correct me if I'm wrong. The reason I say 199cc is because those motorcycles were made at 199cc because Honda wanted to slide under a Singapore vehicle law that is better for motos under 200cc.

Update: the Phantom has:

Engine: 4-stroke, 196.9 cc, air-cooled, 2-valve SOHC with a compression ratio
of 9.0:1
I bought mine over 6 yrs ago.

Honda Phantom.jpg

Edited by dicey eye

andy

Yes you got it right Paul. But check it out. I think over the 125cc licencers come in to force. But like most you won't have insurance. So it makes you think why bother. If you get stoped try wing it or pay a back hander.

Bill H

I never had a Cambodian driver's license, I was stopped a few times (mostly for running red lights like everyone else) I always showed my valid USDL and it was never a problem with the Pulis.  I had to pay a fine once ($2 if I remember correctly) but the fact that I did not have a Cambodian drivers license was never an issue....but that's just me.