dicey eye

US Warns Beware of Flood Water Snakes

dicey eye

Expert warns Florence floodwaters may carry venomous snakes into ...

Expert warns Florence floodwaters may carry venomous snakes into homes

Alex Lasker,AOL.com 19 hours ago

People in areas affected by Hurricane Florence, which was downgraded to a tropical storm on Friday, have been cautioned to look out for venomous snakes lurking in the storm's floodwaters.

Thad Bowman, public relations director at Alligator Adventure zoo in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, told the Myrtle Beach Online that flooding caused by Florence will originate in coastal regions populated by multiple snake species, including venomous cottonmouths and copperheads.

The storm's powerful swells have the potential to displace the snakes, carrying them into more populated areas and even flooded homes, where they can pose a threat to humans.

Once flooding has subsided, the deadly creatures have also been known to hide beneath piles of debris.

Bowman told the Myrtle Beach Online that people should not go out during the storm or wade through floodwaters. However, he added that anyone bitten by a snake should rush to an open hospital as quickly as possible to seek treatment.

Snakes are not the only dangerous creatures to be on the lookout for as Florence wreaks havoc on the Carolinas.

After Hurricane Harvey in 2017, Texans were warned to avoid trekking through floodwaters due to massive colonies of floating fire ants left behind in the storm's wake. Venomous snakes and alligators were also found in and around people's homes following Harvey.

Dicey Note: If the floods waters in the US bring snakes then I would think flood waters here in Cambodia would also bring snakes. Haven't seen any cautionary news items in local press.
  • Like 2

andy
21 minutes ago, dicey eye said:

Dicey Note: If the floods waters in the US bring snakes then I would think flood waters here in Cambodia would also bring snakes. Haven't seen any cautionary news items in local press.

Due to the same weather pattern year after year, I would think people are aware of the danger. I do recall also, there had been a official warning announced somewhere.

But accidents are sometimes not avoidable.

Snake Bite Kills Siem Reap Man

photo_2018-09-14_16-33-47.jpg

Siem Reap:  On September 14, 2018, a man died after being bitten by a snake about 3 km from Prasat village, Prey Pok commune. Siem Reap.

The body of Chum Mey, a 37-year-old man, was bitten by a snake while walking check his fish traps atedge of his village.

Police arrived at the scene and examined the body and decided no criminal offenses had been committed.

According to a report by Lom Veet, the man’s wife, claimed that her husband was killed by a snake bite.

A man who was with the victim at the time confirmed this, and said he beat the snake to death.

http://www.arey-news.com/archives/260051

dicey eye

Yes the report is about a deadly snake bite but no mention of flood waters bringing more snakes.

dicey eye
3 hours ago, andy said:

Due to the same weather pattern year after year, I would think people are aware of the danger.

When I was editor I would print similar cautionary warnings every year to refresh readers' memory on the dangers of hurricanes especially the tidal surges which are very deadly. The six category 4 and 5 hurricanes I experienced up close and personal  in Central America, the vast amount of deaths were the result of the 15 to 25 foot tidal surges-- drowning.  

John_Galt

how far inland do tidal surges go?

dicey eye
29 minutes ago, John_Galt said:

how far inland do tidal surges go?

Depends on the topography - I never saw one spread more than 2 or 3 miles inland from the coast.

The Cayes (islands) and coastal communities are flooded by up to 25  feet of water.

• Like 1

andy
5 hours ago, dicey eye said:

Yes the report is about a deadly snake bite but no mention of flood waters bringing more snakes.

I had seen a warning written somewhere, but hell, I have looked back on articles, unable to find. But here too is a deadly warning.

Mines unearthed during flooding

July 26, 2018 Khmer Times.

The Cambodian Mine Action and Victim Assistance Authority has issued a statement warning its field personnel and residents in flooded areas to be cautious due to mines being unearthed during heavy rains.

Signed by CMAA first vice president Ly Thuch and issued on Monday, the statement said that unexploded ordnances were found in several areas during floods last week, including the provinces of Kampot, Preah Sihanouk, Koh Kong, Kampong Speu, Battambang and Pailin.

“We found landmines and other UXOs during the floods in those provinces,” the CMAA statement said.

The statement instructed all CMAA field personnel to check flooded areas during and after evacuations, fearing that danger could still lurk below the soil.

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50515574/mines-unearthed-during-flooding/

Mines unearthed after heavy rain

September 11, 2017 Khmer Times.

A farmer in Battambang province’s Samlot district on Saturday discovered 17 unexploded K58 anti-personnel mines on his land.

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/5082269/mines-unearthed-heavy-rain/

Parrothead
8 hours ago, dicey eye said:

Expert warns Florence floodwaters may carry venomous snakes into homes

Yeah, like I need a warning like that, here! The last little snake encounter I had, has caused me to add even more perimeter lighting around the farm, so we don't get a surprise while walking outside at night. (Prior to my snake incident, it was already lighted up like an airport at night, around here.) That last encounter was during the day, luckily. But, I damned sure don't want to be bitten by any snake, certainly not a venomous one! 

dicey eye
4 hours ago, Parrothead said:

But, I damned sure don't want to be bitten by any snake, certainly not a venomous one

Wondering, to be on the super safe side, does Grannie follow you around the compound with her stick to ward off ambushing vipers?

snake sunglasses.jpg

Edited by dicey eye
  • Funny 1

Parrothead
1 hour ago, dicey eye said:

Wondering, to be on the super safe side, does Grannie follow you around the compound with her stick to ward off ambushing vipers?

snake sunglasses.jpg

No. The snakes keep her busy enough. I'll be back in the city by the end of the month, replacing 2 - 50 watts flood lamp LEDs that burned out a while back (back up lamps), and to buy others. I don't even want a shadow around here, at night.