dicey eye

US Warns Beware of Flood Water Snakes

John_Galt

Wouldn't a dog or 2 keep the snakes down in the yard? 

Parrothead
4 hours ago, John_Galt said:

Wouldn't a dog or 2 keep the snakes down in the yard? 

Yep. Right up to the point where they get bitten - and injected with enough poison to kill an elephant. 

Seriously, I'm sure it helps. But, the dog was right there with us the day the snake happened to get into the bathroom. Personally, I don't want to step on one while I am out walking around the property at night.

John_Galt
40 minutes ago, Parrothead said:

Yep. Right up to the point where they get bitten - and injected with enough poison to kill an elephant. 

Well don't get a pure breed just one of the local mutts. 

42 minutes ago, Parrothead said:

Personally, I don't want to step on one while I am out walking around the property at night.

Good luck 
C-Gnpd3UQAEnYDG-e1493307506221.jpg?w=768

C-LpsulXUAA07x5?format=jpg&name=small

Parrothead

The snake I saw would stick out like a sore thumb in that mess. 

Not to mention, our grounds are clay - no leaves and such. Good luck to the snake that can hide in that here. 

Parrothead

See what I mean? 

img_09311.jpg

dicey eye

Don't know if its true but legend has it mongoose are excellent snake killers.

Round yourself up a mongoose or two and never have snake worries.

• Like 1

andy
5 minutes ago, dicey eye said:

Round yourself up a mongoose or two and never have snake worries.

The locals will have ate all the mongoose's, and they will eat the snake's out there in the sticks. If you had a dog to do the job as suggested that may end up in the pot (due to it will just bark) in the end it will bark at anything. Pig's apparently the best at snake deterrent. Cats are good too.  

Parrothead
17 minutes ago, andy said:

Pig's apparently the best at snake deterrent. Cats are good too.

I hear a good double-barreled shotgun is, as well. Of course, I wouldn't know anyone who owns such an animal.

29 minutes ago, dicey eye said:

They are. A snake strikes forward. A mongoose moves side-to-side. When the snake strikes, the mongoose goes after the snake behind its head. That's what I learned from Rikki Tikki Tavi, anyway.

• Like 1

andy
1 hour ago, Parrothead said:

They are. A snake strikes forward. A mongoose moves side-to-side. When the snake strikes, the mongoose goes after the snake behind its head. That's what I learned from Rikki Tikki Tavi, anyway.

In any fight between a mongoose and a snake. A Mongoose is bound to be victorious owing to its agility and fearlessness .But what, most people don’t know is that most mongoose themselves die after a snake fight. Since through the fight if the snake manages to nibble a mongoose but the venom takes effect later.

• Like 2

dicey eye
mongoose

The Indian gray mongoose and others are well known for their ability to fight and kill venomous snakes, particularly cobras. They are adept at such tasks due to their agility, thick coats, and specialized acetylcholine receptors that render them resistant or immune to snake venom.