• ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• If you would like to join to begin posting and become an active member, feel free to click on THIS LINK, to register. If you have any questions, feel free to post them in the Forum Operations / Issues forum. If you register, but then are unable to log in, please feel free to post concerns in the Having Problems Logging In? forum. We will address any and all questions, comments, or concerns, as quickly as possible. Welcome to the Living In Cambodia Forums! 

Welcome to the forum!

• Similar Content

• Parrothead
      By Parrothead
      One of the types of animals we wish to get in the fairly near future, are goats. (They currently run about $5.00 US / kilogram, by the way.) However, goats are known to be escape artists, from what others tell me. (Pigs too, from what I understand?) 

Anyway, one way to keep goats penned in, is by adding electric fencing around the perimeter of the land, where you wish them to remain.

It so happens that a buddy of mine out this way (about another 20 Kilometers past the farm), sells electric fence chargers made in Thailand. I believe they run about $40 US, each? (Don't hold me to that, but I believe that is the cost?) Nothing pretty to look at, from what I can tell. But, they can be powered by either 12 vdc, or 230 vac. They apparently produce one heck of a spark, as well. So, they are not lightweight models. And, you can increase or decrease the energizing cycles. Higher rates for stubborn or larger animals, I suppose? 

Anyway, have a look: 

High tensile strength wire could be purchased at a number of stores, I'm pretty sure. In fact, the only problem I see, would be in locating fence post insulators. But, having done of bit of searching, and very little ingenuity, we could make our own fence insulators by purchasing a couple of local parts and manufacturing them ourselves.

1. Buy a few kilograms of fence post nails / staples:

2. Buy a roll of thick walled tubing. Cut it to 10 cm (~4") length pieces. 

3. Then, slide the cut length of tubing down the wire and fasten it to each fence post.

This idea would be much better than buying from ANY company online. You see, I found that I could buy 50 of these lengths of tubing for $30 USD online, NOT including shipping OR fence nails / staples. That's $.60¢ US, each piece! 

Download This Write Up
      electric_fencing_idea.docx

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use & Guidelines. Here is our Privacy Policy.