Parrothead

Ranger Scout Mosquito Sticks

Parrothead

Enemy Number 1 in almost every country around the world, the mosquito:

mosquito.png

These little pests don't land on me, much less bite me. Fortunately, this prevents me from ever contracting any mosquito-borne diseases (Dengue Hemorrhagic Fever, Japanese Encephalitis, West Nile Virus, Yellow Fever, etc.). Unfortunately, this does not apply to those whom I love and care about. Most people I know, in fact, tend to get eaten up by mosquitoes. 

Anyway, during my years in the Philippines, we primarily used what we called "Lion-Tiger" for mosquito control. That was the brand name for mosquito coils, basically the same type of coils used here in Cambodia. These typically burn for about 8 hours and come 10 to a box. The cost is 2,500r (~$.625¢) per box.

coil.jpg

However, recently, Chan introduced me to Ranger Scout Low Smoke Mosquito Sticks.

ranger_scout_low_smoke_mosquito_sticks_f.jpg ranger_scout_low_smoke_mosquito_sticks_b.jpg ranger_scout_low_smoke_mosquito_sticks_i.jpg

They come 30 pieces per box, and at the same cost of the coils, 2500r (~$.625¢). 

As you can see, the mosquito sticks look almost identical to incense sticks. They burn similarly as well. However, I have not verified the burn time of an individual stick. I would hazard a guess at 20 minutes? 

One thing I do like about them is, they kill mosquitoes instantly, upon contact. As soon as the mosquito flies near, or through the smoke, they drop faster than WWII Japanese planes at the battle of Midway. I have never seen mosquito coils killing them that quickly. We place one of these sticks in the bathroom prior to shower time. By the time we are ready to shower, the bathroom is mosquito-free. There are tons of little mosquito carcasses all over the floor, and not one flying.

I have never witnessed mosquitoes dying faster in my life, aside from seeing chemical sprays used to eliminate them from a given area. Here at the farm, I discourage using liquid chemicals as much as possible. So, sprays are definitely out of the question. These seem to be the next best option.

Anyway, I figured I would share this with those in country, who may have problems with mosquitoes.

CAUTION: As always, use caution when burning any mosquito coils or sticks. They should only be used in well ventilated areas. If you burn them in an enclosed area, make sure you open it up and let plenty of fresh air flow through, prior to inhabiting the space.

angbumabasa

We've used those coils occasionally here, but with SW Monsoon/Habagat here more, the wind just takes care of them. The next Brg'y towards Maasin always has need of them since the 'river' is just standing water most of the time. 

andy
15 minutes ago, John_Galt said:

Do you have one of those? 

No I have the smoky ones.

• Like 1

Parrothead
19 hours ago, andy said:

Protect Yourself From Cambodia's Most Deadly Animal, Without Using Harmful Chemicals...

http://blogs.dailylifetech.com/E5xl/mosquito/d/this-creative-new-device-traps-mosquitos-without-chemicals-1111

I have seen electronic devices like this, for decades, claiming how they eliminate mosquitoes. I have yet to witness one that actually works.

Personally, if I were to go the completely chemical-free route, I would put a screen on a large fan. The mosquitoes are sucked into the fan and thrown against the screen. The wind generated by the fan dries the little buggers out, thus killing them.

CLICK HERE FOR YOUTUBE SEARCH RESULTS

• Like 1

John_Galt

A blue light bug zapper works alright. 
I also hardly ever get bit. 

The best way to get rid of them is to eliminate all standing water. But good luck with that here. 

• Like 1

Parrothead
12 minutes ago, John_Galt said:

But good luck with that here.

Yeah, no kiddin'. 

• Like 1

luvthai2003

How about screen doors and screens in windows? Just a suggestion. I have never been able to figure out why housing and buildings in general in the tropics don't use screens. Does anybody have a rational explanation for this? 

• Like 1

Parrothead
27 minutes ago, luvthai2003 said:

Does anybody have a rational explanation for this?

Um, no. 

When we had our container built, I paid an additional $100 USD for two "premium" window upgrades. Stupid me ass-u-med they would have screens. Nope.

• Funny 1