scoffer

Questions on Building Design and Insulation

scoffer

I will be building a small house shortly and am investigating building design an insulation options.

The land is situated about 30 kilometres outside PP just off highway 6.

Land size is 13mtr wide and 50mtr deep,   we have access to electricity and town water.

The house will comprise of 3 bed rooms,   kitchen and dining area,  lounge room,  2 internal bathrooms and one external bathroom and laundry.  Most likely the house will be two story as I want to create a large undercover outside area and use the rear of the property to grow stuff.

The layout of the house has not been decided upon as yet,  I’m just starting to investigate viable options, my questions for the folks that have build in Cambodia is about insulating a brick and concrete building.   Are there products that you can spray on or attach to walls to help insulate the building and if so, how effective were they...

Thanks,

Kev

• Like 1

scoffer

An additional request, 

andy
12 hours ago, scoffer said:

I’m just starting to investigate viable options, my questions for the folks that have build in Cambodia is about insulating a brick and concrete building.   Are there products that you can spray on or attach to walls to help insulate the building and if so, how effective were they...

I myself have only ever built a shed in Cambodia.

When you are talking about insulation what exactly is your meaning. The brick built Khmer builds just seem to be rendered. To say it rains mostly half of the year it surprises me that they never consider damp.

Parrothead

QUESTION: How many rooms will be air-condtioned, @scoffer?

scoffer

Parrothead, 

I have not decided on aircon as yet,  but at a guess only the main living room will have aircon. 

All other rooms will have ceiling fans installed.

Andy,

One side of the building will be exposed to direct sunlight for the majority of the day,   

I am wanting to reduce the heat transfer through the walls into the house . 

• Like 1

andy
27 minutes ago, scoffer said:

I am wanting to reduce the heat transfer through the walls into the house . 

Various ways of doing so I would imagine. It would depend on the design of the house and what you think is most suitable.

You could for example put a conservatory open type building with plenty of air flow and shade, would be good for evening dinning too.

A false wall of wood possible over clading the brickwork.

Maybe something simple like planting mango trees to give shade.

I know there you would need to find mature trees.

Just think how you may shade the wall.

Parrothead

@scoffer, first, I do not claim to be an expert, or even a novice really in building construction. However, I have a friend here in Battambang, who manufacturers and sells CLC blocks. CLC stands for Cellular Light-Weight Concrete. I have seen these blocks, and in fact have a number of them at our farm. They are considerably lighter than standard cinder blocks are, which are made from concrete.

He has demonstrated the characteristics of these blocks. They do not absorb heat very well. They float, believe it or not in water, due to the material they are constructed from. In fact, from what I understand you can pour entire walls with this material.

What I am getting at here is, I imagine the insulation characteristic of these blocks may be pretty good. He is here though, not closer to Phnom Penh. So, you may get a better price nearer to you. I cannot say for sure, though. You would have to inquire from a CLC block manufacturer / distributor closer to you, I suppose.

The reason I inquired about which room, or rooms would be air-conditioned, is that you may only want to construct the immediate walls surrounding that particular room or rooms with these types of blocks. The rest of the home, you may want to allow to be ventilated as many homes are here. I imagine by doing so it's easier to keep mold and other issues down inside the home.

If you would like to view some videos regarding CLC blocks, and happen to have a Facebook account, you can find my friends page HERE.

I don't know if this post has helped or not. But I hope it helps give you some sort of direction in which to go.

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1

andy
7 hours ago, Parrothead said:

I don't know if this post has helped or not. But I hope it helps give you some sort of direction in which to go

"Well I never". That's an excellent product Paul. I was trying to think about coatings that the OP was first referring towards. But I honestly could not, nor in my home country I had never used a spray-on material to reduce heat.

• Thanks 1

scoffer

Thanks guys. 

One day we might share a beer,  a burger or just a laugh.

• Like 2

NotSure

This is an interesting video on Building Envelopes. It has some great information on optimal sun and wind positioning.  

• Like 1