andy

Back and forth

andy

I don't know where I got too, on the posting of this subject.

Back and forth 

So once again on our journey back to Kampong Cham. It was actually a few weeks ago. 

First we saw and waived down the town's number one tuk tuk Harry outside the bar. He asked where too as I was locking the door. "Bus station Harry". No bus was his reply. He went quickly alone to the booking office in town. Returned to say that there's a bus at 1pm. But full no tickets. This was due to road 48 being in such bad repairs, and didn't I know from the experience of the last journey's return. Trucks had been banned from using the road just now too.

Anyway Nak was having none of it and being determined to go now (suddenly I thought this was like the first time). Yes then she set off alone and left me the hardships of staying behind alone. The bar is stocked with booze, and all of a sudden my back starring to twinge and ach in need of pleasurable attention of my experienced neighbours.

No It wasn't to be this time! She was so adamant that we travel together this time.

We arrived at the bus station! Oh dear, one mini bus was going to Phnom Penh and he, the driver was as adamant has my lady. $35 each was the price. I said good for you, to the driver, and turning to Nak. Do what you wish. I am not willing to pay that price. I'll be sitting over there drinking coffee when you decide. I think she tried to get the price down, but not getting far. She joined me saying he go down little bit, but he no good. That made a change, it was someone's turn and not me this time. We had one of the local guy's (the fixer) whom seem to hassle their prospective customers to the extent of aggravation. "He go now $40". The other transport was not hard to spot, due to being the only two there. "No way" was my reply as I ordered a second coffee. The fixer returned to the driver. Soon to be back with the driver in tow. "Go now $35" he shouted out. "No" I don't want, anyway the mini bus down there will be $30 soon. "OK OK go now $30". I asked Nak if she was hungry? The driver said need to go. Then the angry disappointed fixer said $15. Up we got with bags in hand and Nak with a smile.  4x4 nice ride.

Still though overall I wasn't that happy at that price each. $30 goes a fair way here! The big bus tomorrow morning would have cost us $20 because of the road condition otherwise $16 normally.

Nak knew I was not happy about something. I told her still expensive. 'Why" she said small money $15 for two! Now I was smiling too. Less then six hours with two food stops we arrived in the big city of Phnom Penh. 

• Like 2

dicey eye

Perseverance paid off. Quite a drop in cost!

• Like 1

andy
On 10/26/2018 at 10:13 PM, dicey eye said:

Perseverance paid off.

It was one of the better journey's, especially on that stretch of damaged road. 

Now we had arrived safely at Phnom Penh, the driver parked. I was surprised not to see the usual amount of tuk-tuk driver's, pushing and shoving each other at the doors of the vehicle, with their eyes widening on seing the solitary white guy. That sighting seems to be the trigger, the start of the frenzy between them, for one driver may have the better price today.

Anyway not too worry I have PassApp at hand, pick up and destination placed into the phone, it's an easy to use App. Driver and route details show up on the phone, along with the firm fare price.

23 seconds and the driver had arrived, along with our destination 'restaurant on the riverside' placed in his phone. No need now for any words or explanations from me, just the usual pleasantries along the way and payment at the end.

20181103_001536.thumb.jpg.766b0e6dd94794263674489ae864dc4c.jpg

andy

Now we had just finished a good meal at one of my favourite Indian restaurant's, but thinking about it I was looking so forward to having lamb. But when I ordered, the waiter said "no have today" I should have left at that instant! But never mind. Soon I was tapping into my phone again with the tuk-tuk arriving just about instantly. On our way now to meet Khmer friends whom had booked us into a hotel on the island to the right of the riverside. We would see them for drinks when we arrive.

I was surprised the hotel was extremely nice, so much so we ended up staying two nights. Our friends did too. It was sad in a way to leave having such an enjoyable time. But needs must! It was getting to the end of the holidays and we had to be at the family home.

The bus was booked for early afternoon, travelling road 1 to road 11 would be ideal.

The bus arrived outside on time, also with plenty of seating room, but the bus needed fuel and the driver would collect fares at the filling station.

After the suspension bridge the bus stoped and we were told to meet the other bus to finish our journey on road 11. 

So moto dop was arranged for us, when arriving at the meeting place I said "where is the bus"? Yes it's been a long time since I have had the lie.

Screenshot_20181105-222535.thumb.png.2c7f6fcae6419814351c3baeb1418ab4.png

So here we are, don't know how many of you have been to this place in holiday time, or at any time, there don't seem to be a lot happening, that is until now! The moto man from the bus is wanting his payment, but my lady was not best amused at the whole situation. It then started to get worse! When another moto dop arrived to join the first one whom demanded payment, but not getting anywhere for being in on the little scam. 

The younger one then said $20 we take you to Prey Veng. The lady replied "NO" loudly. The first guy went away, but the second became more persistent with now other moto dops parked opposite seemed to be encouraging him on.  The situation was a little heated, he spoke a little English too, but now his voice raising in Khmer getting off his moto! I went straight at him and took hold of his arm. "Buy me coffee" pointing at the stall. "Barrang no money" "lady take me holiday I no drink coffee today." I was banging my pockets and waving my arms around in the middle of the road. He said your "boy crazy" has he returned to his moto and rode away.

Asking why she was angry? As she orderd and payed for my coffee.

Just then a car stoped and

we again were mobile.

Screenshot_20181026-123744.thumb.png.dc8d19b1dd5d4e76218a90b59d4eb608.png

And believe me that is the worst 26km of no road I have ever travelled.

Now in Prey Veng no bus no taxi. Walking a little bit up the road, people are speaking too her. She tells me not sure about hotel.

Don't worry I said we are hitching and I stuck out my thumb. It's getting dark now was her reply. I think she didn't understand or I was crazy! Some cars stopped probably out of curiosity and some said they was not going that far. 

It was about the 10th car what stopped.

Screenshot_20181106-010835.thumb.png.4ff9a64fc3dd904c6e388a94a90213ce.png

Two army guys took us straight to mama's door! No charge.

Oz Jon

Gdonya!  Andy

I can see that you are not a man to be "messed about with" .... and neither is your good lady!

Cheers