kenneth crossley

THAILAND to CAMBODIA MOVE

kenneth crossley

hi newbie here, i am hoping for any information to those who have done this move, after living in Thailand for 5 years , and the new stupid immigration laws, i am sriously thinking its time i moved, i do have the money to  please these idiots but the thought of now having to have 800,000 baht in my account for 6 months then  leaving 400,000 in my account untouched for ever is a piss take.i have a retirement visa until november but am sounding things out now before these clowns think of something else to burden us ex pats with. i am thinking a furnished one bed condo, with a pool and a gym, and hoping to bring my scooter with me, looking at approx prices also  removal costs, ( i do have some gear collected during 5 years here) at the moment i have a nice condo with all of the above,for 9000 baht, in JOMTIEN by the sea. (pattaya) i would be very grateful for any gen , thanks in advance, cheers

John_Galt

Hello Welcome to the forum!

It seems many people are getting annoyed with the Thai immigration laws. 

Handyman

Hi Kenneth

I am also in a similar position.  My current retirement visa runs out in September.  God knows what things will be like then, the added burden of possibly compusory health insurance being another worry.  I'm going to Siem Reap next month to way up the options and have a fall back plan if I have to leave.  I found this real estate quite imformative.  I worked out that 300 dollars is about the same as 10,000 baht.  Seem to be able to get a nice apartment for around that figure.  https://www.realestate.com.kh/rent/?listing_type=lease&property_type=rental&categories=Condo&categories=Apartment&order_by=relevance&rent__lte=500&rent__gte=300&is_certified=1&private_seller=1&q=location%3ASihanoukville

Good luck

dicey eye
4 hours ago, Handyman said:

I worked out that 300 dollars

$300 a month for rent??? What's the place, Taj Mahal? In my 10 yrs residing in Cambodia I rarely paid more than $60 per month for two bedroom apartments. Lived in Phnom Penh, Sihanoukville, Kampot, Battambang and PoiPet and $60 was the tops except for PoiPet where I leased a brand new two story, three bedroom, two bath place for $120 which I felt was overpriced but I had the extended family and a work colleague and his wife there so my part was $80.(still too much, own my own house now so no rent) 

Word of caution, in Cambodia realtors are con-artists, avoid them like the plague.

Find a centrally located hotel, rent a motto and chit chat with restaurant patrons - before you know it, there will be many options much lower than $300.

Edited by dicey eye
  • Like 2

Handyman

Thanks dicey eye, I'm coming for a holiday and to do some research next month, so will take on board your advice.

dicey eye

Best to clarify my rather idiosyncratic life.

First off when I move to a foreign country one of my primary goals is to savor its foreignness. To assimilate as much as possible into the local culture, local cuisine and live a local lifestyle.

Whatever country I reside in my goal is to go native as much as possible.

Again the idea of integrating and savoring the country’s foreignness is my priority.

That said, most likely those $50 and $60 per month places which I lived in and found cozy would be too native for most westerner’s sensibilities.

From the usual expat’s perspective maybe $200 or $300 would be closer to the majority of foreigners comfort zone.

Unless you’re an oddball like yours truly forget $60 per month lodging.

• Like 1

Handyman

It sounds similar to here.  If you go to the actual complex's you can usually get a better deal dealing directly with the owner.  Go through an agent is a more expensive route to take.

Edited by Handyman

angbumabasa
11 hours ago, dicey eye said:

Again the idea of integrating and savoring the country’s foreignness is my priority.

Ditto. 

kenneth crossley

thanks for the replies , i know i am not the first person to do this move, ,, it was the costings of transport etc and bringing my possessions, and scooter and i have not had one reply from someone who has done this, and advice appreciated one has to have more money here now than the deputy Prime Ministers wage packet,  , what a farce. 

• Like 1

Handyman

Hi Ken

Not sure why you're not getting any help and advice regarding this matter?  I would have thought there would be some members who could help you?  I would imagine a transport company could take your possessions.  However you may find it a lot of hassle taking your scooter.  I think you'll find quite a few obstacles and expense to do that.  It would have to be re-registered in Cambodia.  Might be easier to sell it in Thailand and buy another one once you're there.  As you know I'm going there on the 26th of this month so will let you know how it goes.