kenneth crossley

THAILAND to CAMBODIA MOVE

andy
On 2/6/2019 at 11:37 PM, kenneth crossley said:

have a nice condo with all of the above,for 9000 baht,

That here Ken you would find in the capital Phnom Penh. But that money of around £300 may not get you the pool. $450 - 500+ would get you a nice 1 bedroom with the amenities you ask. Riding the moto around here you have to be brave, using more concentration then ever. If you have all your paperwork for the bike I don't see why you can't bring it over the border! But saying that I don't know how long for, I only know of people who have bought one over for holidays. But again be ready for having Thai plates will probably get you a fine now and again.

Like Dicey eye mentioned about the accommodation "agent or do it yourself" unfortunately with what you are looking for, the agent maybe the only way. There are sites on facebook such as "Phnom Penh for sale". Worthwhile having a look to give you ideas. I live over on one of the islands from riverside, see the odd westerner now and again, but very few. Again I pay Khmer price for the accommodation, apartment 100m2 on 2 floors. Small backyard to put washing out, bathroom and kitchen, living room and 2nd floor bedroom, all is open plan. Car parking in front of room, lots of room inside for bike.   $120 per month and one months deposit. Sign up for 1to12months up to you, landlords to now seem very good. 

Bills, electricity and rubbish collection are working out at $12 per month. Water $5 per month. We use a plenty with washing. Free WiFi and security camera's.

Our room is unfinished. It's possible to have furniture supplied by the landlord's but at a higher months rental.

The single floor apartments above me are $75 per month to rent.

Tuc-tuc to the riverside if you would wish to mingle with western freinds and eat the world foods on offer $1.5. I tend to ride over too another part of town again inhabited by the white people. Live music and my favourite Indian selling large Samosas 2 for $1.50. This part of town is well out of my price range though for accommodation. 

It's like mentioned with accommodation you can find cheap good living $50 for single rooms with bathroom, living with plenty of locals around you, or 6 bedroom Vilas 7 bathrooms with private grounds $2000+. Big choice agent's or do it yourself.

andy

Just to clarify, the apartment I am renting is here on the ground floor. Very quite most of the time. Apart on occasion the top room have some live Khmer professional folk singers, whom put a free show on for it's resident's once a week at 110 decibels. And 100 decibels when the kids play outside after school. After that you can hear a pin drop.

20181212_195818-01.thumb.jpeg.0cc058fc25e652875afd8f868f377edf.jpeg

Like I was saying it's the same almost anywhere. Look and you may find what suits.

Only 1mile from me is this if you want up market. This is the start of the new Phnom Penh. This is Khmer with the odd westerner whom may have his pockets lined with gold. House price from only $1.3 million and there are rentals too.

IMG_20190305_164853-01.thumb.jpeg.c66e27dcce39e177c3d572b989f7facc.jpeg

IMG_20190305_165831.thumb.jpg.f975e87b707044a2abbb6d6e32326428.jpg

IMG_20190305_164714.thumb.jpg.09e19d018d172fe8f20aab4b7ec56d42.jpg

IMG_20190305_164726.thumb.jpg.2a91813dc7cebef48bf96a3404b3b30a.jpg

Yes! About a mile or so from my humble room. I have the world on my doorstep. Anywhere in Europe I now don't dream it's here. With cafe's, restaurants and shopping. The project is large and on going for the one's that have the money. And that seems to be many that are living in the gated communities. The old City seems to be going to the Chinese very quickly indeed. So where did I get the impression that Khmers were living on the breadline for many year's?

IMG_20190305_165831.jpg

• Like 2

Handyman

Some great photos, Andy.  I'm looking forward to coming over the end of the month for a short holiday tied into some information gathering. I promised the wife a day at Angkor Wat, the other days I will be checking out Siem Reap.

andy

By the way the room next to me will be vacant on the 20th.

andy
2 minutes ago, Handyman said:

Angkor Wat, the other days I will be checking out Siem Reap.

Angkor Wat is amazing and well worth the visit. I personally have been lucky enough to visit many time's, but now stop with the government takeover and new price hike for the foreigner. Siem Reap is a good place but very busy with the tourist industry, seems to have grown every time I have visited. Now the Chinese are also very active in and around the area. Lot's of shopping for western food's. Good restaurant's too. Good range of accommodation, again can be pricey due to demand. 

But I have had reports of the visa agents being particular, and in cases where the law states age for retirement visa, some upto the age 60 and above.

andy

It's always worth looking just outside the city's, considering a little bike journey too and from. There are some quite good prices that way, saving's  on accommodation. Worker's don't want to be far outside with rush hour traffic and travel.

andy

The other thing to look at with accommodation is the  fixture and fittings.

Like our 4x4metre biefold doors. I used kingsize bed sheets for curtains then rollerblinds out of floor mats.

20190309_172912.thumb.jpg.72ca2bf6ef74d986c73a54df5e40f3c6.jpg

See the red one at the bottom. No not a design! Just a lie on size from the shop keeper. Anyway $10 gives me privacy and practicalities.

Asking retailers for what you want will not be always in your favour.

Here I asked for pipe of

1 metre cut legnths.

20190309_155212.thumb.jpg.9e5c5152b93c67bd0cc2f8f59d5c961b.jpg

Yes most of you know I like to keep busy. I recently bought this lamp to restore $25. No cost on repairs due to having a few bits. Although if I bought it would have been minimum cost.

Fotor_155078767283933-01.thumb.jpeg.4adf19f4578031484d5e0d5cc40237fc.jpeg

• Like 2

andy
On 5/14/2019 at 3:25 PM, Handyman said:

health insurance.

So is there also headway in policies available, if so by the Thai insurers being fair at prices and honest cover! But then again insurer's world wide must be the only legalised criminals.

But to be fair to the Thai authorities they are not wrong with what they are proposing.

Ken mentioned the need of removals. I would have thought better to look on the Thai side for this. It took me ages to find someone who would do it here. I mean months due to asking high payments, due to many now being paid Chinese fees.

Moto! I have only known people buying the Thai imported bike and paying the duty themselves at approximately equal price of the bikes value. But also to consider the law has changed here. Now a foreigner can only legally own a brand new bike, with the papers in their name. Without papers the police can take the bike off you.

Handyman
5 hours ago, andy said:

So is there also headway in policies available, if so by the Thai insurers being fair at prices and honest cover! But then again insurer's world wide must be the only legalised criminals.

But to be fair to the Thai authorities they are not wrong with what they are proposing.

Hi Andy.  This is the link to the Thai insurers offering health cover.

https://longstay.tgia.org/

There seems to be some confusion over who has to get this insurance at the moment.  It depends what type of visa you have.  I'm not 100% sure if I'm affected yet or not.  A lot of backroom lawyers putting up different views.. Majority of retired visa people I know, myself included have a extension based on retirement visa.  The cabinet announced that it is people with a Non Immigrant visa OA that are required to get this insurance.  For me, obviously I hope this is true.  But, it doesn't make sense to me to target a small group of people.  For now I will sit tight and wait to hear from an official source.  Even if I am not affected thhis time round, I'm sure it won't be long.  I visited Siem Reap in March and really liked it.  That is my fall back position and I'm sure its just a case of when and not if.  I'm holding back asking lots of questions at the moment.  When the time comes I will be looking to this forum for some help and advice.

Edited by Handyman