dicey eye

200 megawatts from Laos

dicey eye
March 25, 2019

Cambodia to buy 200 megawatts from Laos

Chea Vannak / Khmer Times Share:
pg-12-bottom-laos.jpg

Cambodia will buy 200 megawatts from Laos to feed rising demand for power in the Kingdom.

Electricite du Cambodge has signed an agreement to purchase 200 MW from Laos from 2019 to 2021.

The tariff at which the power will be sold has not been revealed.

. .

With power consumption on the rise, Cambodia needs to increase energy imports, said Ty Norin, secretary of state at Ministry of Mines and Energy.

“The transmission lines to bring energy from Laos are being built as we speak,” Mr Norin said during a press conference on Friday.

The energy purchased by Cambodia will be produced at Laos’ Dan Sahong hydropower dam, located near the border, Mr Norin added.

Earlier this month, the Royal Group of Cambodia and partners China Southern Power Grid and China Huaneng Group said they will continue work on a project to build high voltage transmission lines in the Kingdom.

The project will contribute to the transmission network in the country’s northeast and enable energy exchanges with Vietnam and Laos.

. .

“The project focuses on building transmission lines in the northeast that enable the country to bring in electricity from neighbouring countries when we have a shortage, or to export it when we have a surplus,” Victor Jona, director general of the energy department, told Khmer Times.

A recent report from the Ministry of Mines and Energy shows that the country’s electricity supply will rise by 16.12 percent in 2019, reaching 2,870 MW. 2,428 MW will be generated from local sources, while the rest will be imported from Thailand, Vietnam, and Laos.

• Like 1

John_Galt

That should help.

dicey eye
53 minutes ago, John_Galt said:

That should help.

Kind of a picayune amount. Though every little bit is needed.

John_Galt
10 hours ago, dicey eye said:

Kind of a picayune amount. Though every little bit is needed.

Well it is better than 200 Kilowats 

andy
On 3/26/2019 at 8:48 PM, John_Galt said:

Well it is better than 200 Kilowats 

Hahaha......

It's a little bit of a setback to the new project of the hydro dams, but who would have predicted that with on completion the weather patterns would now give the country a drought situation.

Solar power would have amagened, may have been churning out the power now. 

The American Embassy in Phnom Penh only uses it's own solar system, being super effective, and totally self serficent. It should have possibly been a roll model for other projects of this scale, especially knowing that it works. It will be interesting to see how the new Solar farm will progress. I may be wrong but wasn't one built a few years ago, I seem to recall Bravet and Kep, both not huge but nevertheless, solar farms. But also government may have held developers back in those year's with what could be done and high penalised costs, never mind the expense of the solar and manufactured parts only a few years back. Main concern was then to support the dam project's.

All seems out of sink, and a shame that there is the little hinders and grinders at this stage. 

Lots happening with large scale building around the country, and increase in population, business and tourism.

We can criticise, why none of this seemed to be predicted. But has always there are ways and means. Such as necessary power cuts. Businesses who can, and construction can aid and help the situation by the use of generators, sold to them at maybe by some at 3 times there value, let's hope the offshore oil companies get started before there next is a fuel shortage.

What is also definite is a crop reduction due to this drought. Last year was similar, farmers once again being poor, and unfortunate. but with opposite weather, floods being the problem.

So the end result is prity much the same. buy power from the neighbours, with no offical talking of it's critical price importance to be subsidised by the consumer with profits to go naturally to the buyer's.

One thing I ask. Why like before if there would be such a problem. China this time have not turned the tap and relised a little water from their dams to aid Cambodia?

I would like you all to kindly join me, thinking of our past freind Paul.

This is, his kind of thread. As I was writing I was also thinking of him, and also his probable reply.

• Like 1

John_Galt
2 hours ago, andy said:

One thing I ask. Why like before if there would be such a problem. China this time have not turned the tap and relised a little water from their dams to aid Cambodia?

No profit?