John_Galt

Cambodian Visas 2019

John_Galt

Two types of Cambodian visas.

The Tourist Visa.  
This visa is for tourist who will be staying in Cambodia for 30 days or less.

The visa cost $30 on arrival (or $36 for the online E-Visa.)

And is single entry only. It can be renewed for $45 once for 30 days. After that, you must leave the country and get a new visa. 

Cambodian "Business" or "ordinary" visa. 
If you want to stay in Cambodia for more than 30 days, you should get the E-class visa. *Note: NOT the online E- visa.* 
This visa is also for 30 days and costs $35. The difference is this visa can be extended indefinitely. When you extend this visa you will be able to choose from ER, EB, EG, or ES visa extensions. 
They can be extended for 1, 3, 6, or 12 months. Only the 6 and 12-month visas are multiple entry. 

Types of Visa Extensions.

The ER Visa Extension. 
This is the retirement visa extension and does not allow the holder to work within Cambodia.

The requirements seem to differ slightly depending on which agent you use. 
Those over 55 are rarely asked to show evidence of retirement. 
Those under 55 usually have to show evidence that they are retired. Or have sufficient savings.

The EB Visa Extension. 
The Business extension of stay. 
This is for anyone working in Cambodia also their partners, dependents or volunteers and freelancers. 
You will need to provide a letter stamped verifying your employment with a Cambodian company. 
If you are self-employed with a registered business, you can write your own letter confirming employment. 
You will also need a work permit to be legally employed. 

The EG Visa Extension. 
This extension of stay is for anyone searching for employment. 
It can be for 1, 3, or 6 months. 
Anyone who has had an EB visa may or may not be given an EG visa. 

The ES Visa Extension.
This extension of stay is for students. 

You will need a letter from a registered Cambodian school. 
Also evidence of sufficient funds to support yourself.  

What is the Cost of a 12 month Cambodian visa? 
A 12 month Extension of stay (EOS) will cost between $270 and $310 Depending on your agent. 

What do you need to get a Cambodian visa? 
You will need a passport that is valid for at least six months and has at least one blank page.
A passport size photo. If you do not have a passport sized photo, you can pay a $2 fee.

Is the price for a Cambodian visa and visa extensions the same for dependents and children?
Yes

What happens if you overstay your Cambodian Visa? 
There is a $10 fine per day. That you will have to pay at Immigration before you can leave.
After 30 days you still have to pay the $10 a day fine, and you could be blacklisted from returning to Cambodia. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

andy

That's all put in order and nice and tidy on the visa

Mr John_Gault.

I had acquired the EB visa when l made up my mind to stay here long term. Why? Because that's what the visitor obtained to fit the purpose, with no other long stay alternative offered. Admittedly it did trouble me for sometime because it was for business or an employed purpose. What most were doing was long-time residency, accepted but actually misused, having numerous tourist visas would have fit the legalities. Later I was to use the visa for it's proper and proposed purpose by opening a business and obtaining a work permit and what legalities were required.

There was the problem! The EB visa and EOS required you to possess a work permit. Some people said it wasn't available if you didn't work or you worked but did not receive payment. There was a large sense of confusion from foreigners and officials. Later I found that some people I know had the work permits to accompany their EOS from 10 years back and they hadn't worked.

When the new "E type visa" came into force, so did the fines and back payments for not having the required work permits,.

Obviously people renewing their EOS's and business owners like myself being legal with now all the requirements we're the first point of call by Immigration officers legally collecting the monies in fines and back payment. Also there was some explanation and guidance developing within the confusion.

Secondly I was to encounter the other E visa on my return back into the Kingdom. Whilst I was visiting my own country the works and labour dept had delivered my new work permit for my return.

Now I had returned and my EOS was due for renewal in the next few weeks. 

But! Again new changes I was told, to get the EOS you had to be now in possession of tax patient, so I enquired about the necessities, with the appropriate departments.  Answer was it will take 8 weeks or more, and then also being told I would not obtain the EB EOS without. So I decided that I would stay legal and put the business in my ladies name, also since I had returned after having an operation I could recover a little more, and for the time now obtain the relitivly new ER EOS. Since I have received a small pension and documentation at the age of 55 years. I was told due to me being at the required age I don't need to show any proof. I sent copies of all the legal paperwork I had just too be more sure.

Now the renewal time is here again once more.

I have now had a year from work and was hoping to keep to my plans and once again set-up some new business adventure. Then!

The Kingdom of Wonder adds once again to it's mystery and confusion. 

Well to work, that's out of the question apparently. Once you have obtained the ER EOS it's just about impossible to revert back to an EB again. 

I am now waiting for the new "E" visa "WTF".

This may sound like a silly question in this country, and there are reasonable and un-reasonable answerable factors.

This again can be various from onlookers, It maybe that the white man can't, should not and would not be seen has serious, or even to the extent of racism. 

Two examples - Both also the same Buddhist religion.

Thailand 

The westen monk maybe seen has novel, being some do for short time terms for whatever reasons, also would be paying for that service. Also that he or she "Nun" is escaping lifes reality, even so the Thai's themselves do the same.

Although some Abbott's look upon this being good for the religion, being that the western monk is educated and can put the teaching in English, that spreading the word. Also Royalties have been known to use the western monk for publicity.

Ordained now without monies according to the religion, the monk must pay himself for the visa.

Sri Lanka 

Here there is nothing much to say. Only that the western monk is regarded as the same and the Abbott would obtain him a free visa.

So seriously on the subject of the visa situation in this country.

I was wondering or pondering after I had recently read a few articles about the subject of the required visa for a western Buddhist monk.

I would have thought that being a novice or scholar the "ES visa" accompanied by the Abbott would be in order. But considerations once accepted the second year the monk has no possession. So would the visa be provided free or waivered because of situation and the purpose?

I have contracted two monk's I know in this country on the subject, and if they could give me a answer?

Both of them would talk about another subject instead.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dante

Very helpful thank you. 

• Like 1

andy
18 hours ago, John_Galt said:

The ER Visa Extension. 
This is the retirement visa extension and does not allow the holder to work within Cambodia.

I acquired my first one last year from the agent I have always used for past EOS I paid $320 easy to deal with and he did tell me because I had just fallen into the age required I didn't need to show any proof. Just for a guarantee I did give him all copy's of documents I had.

I have just applied again for a second one with an agent in Phnom Penh.

Cost $288 no photo and no proof required.

But I had to sign and thumb print a paper the agency had drafted, this staiting I would not work.

Also providing my address.

Fingers crossed my EOS will be granted for another year.

18 hours ago, John_Galt said:

The ES Visa Extension.
This extension of stay is for students. 

You will need a letter from a registered Cambodian school
Also evidence of sufficient funds to support yourself.  

Fund's. Now that could put the arrangements to the question I will now call a monk's tale.

Now, to start off with this interesting story -

Thirty Years as a Western Buddhist Monk
An Interview With Ajahn Pasanno - by Fearless Mountain Magazine

Fearless Mountain: What was your early religious experience?

Ajahn_Pasanno.jpgAjahn Pasanno: I was raised in northern Manitoba, 600 miles north of the U.S. border. My religion was Anglican, which is Episcopalian in the U.S. I had a good experience growing up as a Christian. It was a small town and a small church. My family was reasonably devout. My father had grown up in the United Church, and we took religious classes together. But by the time I was 16 or 17, I found it difficult to maintain any kind of faith.

https://www.urbandharma.org/udharma9/pasanno.html

Teach English to Buddhist Monks

This project is available in Bangkok and Chiang Mai.

https://www.volunteerthailand.org/projects/teach-english-monks/

This I found a little bit disappointing actually. I have not until now found that a volunteer also pays the fee too.

This all is in Thailand and it doesn't sound so easy -

What are the current visas for monks?

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/773044-what-are-the-current-visas-for-monks/

John_Galt

6 hours ago, andy said:

new changes I was told, to get the EOS you had to be now in possession of tax patient,

I have heard you only need the receipt to prove that you started the paperwork.
Maybe it depends on the agent you use? 

6 hours ago, andy said:

Once you have obtained the ER EOS it's just about impossible to revert back to an EB again. 

I wonder if this is a consistent problem? 

I have not heard of any special rules for monks. Maybe they fall under the student visa? 

andy
On 4/18/2019 at 10:19 AM, John_Galt said:

only need the receipt to prove that you started the paperwork.
Maybe it depends on the agent you use? 

Did not use agent to sort out my tax, never have I used an agent with my business dealings, never would too. Works and labour dept, and first hand the tax office themselves.

wonder if this is a consistent problem? 

Don't know and don't care really. But I think that there should be more about the information, "no sorry too easy, being that first they need to understand".

And it would be an exceptional country that it's pensioners don't work.

Again you see I talk has we could be equal, I forget my place for one moment.

• Like 1

andy

monks. Maybe they fall under the student visa? 

That would be an education visa? ES like I had staited.

I would think so due to study.

What I was trying to find out is what visa, but think that is easy. But does the ordained monk have to pay for it or not? Why because the monk now can't because of his religious ways now he has no money. So if asked to pay he is not believed.

John_Galt
8 hours ago, andy said:

But I think that there should be more about the information,

I wish! Better communication would help a lot. But they probably benefit from the ambiguity. 

8 hours ago, andy said:

Why because the monk now can't because of his religious ways now he has no money. So if asked to pay he is not believed.

Do all monks have to be poor? (vow of poverty? ) I really don't know.

I would guess they need a sponsor or have the money saved from before they started studying to be a monk. 

• Like 1

andy
44 minutes ago, John_Galt said:

Do all monks have to be poor? 

Monks when ordained have too be without luxury, they are not allowed money of their own. But I here that they can freeze their own bank account.

The monk's I know of have smartphones. Some Abbots are stricter than others.

The monk may now seem poor but the temple certainly is not.

52 minutes ago, John_Galt said:

But they probably benefit from the ambiguity.

In the past I had visited a Thai monk for about 5 year's, conversation was always good. He did many blessings a full time job for him, he once invited me to attend with him when a group of Abbott's would arrive and perform service.

The two monk's I know here, one now of 6 years and the other 2 years.

There are western monk's in Cambodia I heard about.

What was I looking at!

Ambiguity is very close. But religious acception would be the word. Equality would also be better too. 

• Like 1

dicey eye

In the 11 yrs I’m been residing in Cambodia I’ve seen numerous changes in immigration policies. And for 11 yrs I’ve read many posts by expats fretting over changes in rules, procedures and modified regulations.

In my case I’ve never encountered any problems with visas.

I have never used an agent. When I first moved to Cambodia I lived in SHV, I went directly to the local immigration office and humbly asked them what I needed to do to get the visa I wanted. They readily obliged me, no problem. Same in Phom Penh. Same in BTB. Same in PoiPet, no snags, no problems. The immigration officers in both BTB and PoiPet are nice enough to drop my passport off at my house when its returned from PP with the visa.

11 yrs is quite a long time, no problems. So from my perspective visas aren’t something to worry about if you go directly to immigration and NICELY ask them for assistance. In 4 cities they have been very cooperative with their dealings with me.

No sweat.

As an after thought: I have rewarded assisting personnel with some token "tea money"($5 at the most) for them expediting my paperwork.

Edited by dicey eye
  • Like 2