andy

Living in Cambodia

Dante

Guilty as charged Andy. I should log in more often, I do read posts here from time to time but I also only read other forum posts . 

Yes Paul gone , even though I never met him I sometimes think it very unfortunate for his wife/ partner. Not meant as a criticism of Paul....only in his 50's I think...but her world must have been turned upside down as a result of his passing. 

My own situation is "on hold" the Ozzie dollar is way down and expected to fall further as are other western currencies, plus the job market is not great either. Meaning I hadn't factored in these issues when I thought about moving to cambodia. Not to mention your health scare sometime back, glad you're back on your feet BTW. But it made me think more carefully, I do take a lot for granted here in terms of healthcare , security, and home comforts....but at times I feel I'm not really living, like waiting until I croak and nothing happening in the interim, then again reading some posts on another forum...deaths practically every second day " heart attack" seems code word for drug over dose. Young men , mostly men, found dead in some cheap hotel room I think maybe my boring life isn't too bad. 

Sorry I hadn't intended on a whinge, I'll blame you for making me post this....bad joke! 

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

andy
4 hours ago, Dante said:

Guilty as charged Andy. I should log in more often, I do read posts here from time to time but I also only read other forum posts . 

Possibly for not dropping in a post. But more sensible I would say for not rushing over here.

Dante

I wonder how people from western countries cope with .... what seems at times...to be the never ending exposure to the tragic lives of people around them while living in Cambodia . I think I'd find it overwhelming  or maybe I'd become desensitised to it, and I'm not sure that's a good thing, it would mean I just accept it and ignore it in order to live my own life.

But one thing that I simply cannot understand or accept , that is the comments on some forums by people to others' misfortune...or even foolishness. Nothing seems to be safe from the sarcastic jibe, or judgement, on some poor bastards tragedy, it's as if they're commenting on a TV programme or movie not a real life! Why? What can it possibly achieve .

There is currently a type of  gofundme plea on another forum from an ex English teacher with HIV and it's heartbreaking ! Yes shit happens, and  a lot of times people's own foolishness contributes to their dire circumstances. That is not to say he deserves to be in the situation he's in, nor subjected to crass comments on forums. It's an aspect of life I just cannot fathom, not an ounce of sympathy or basic humanity. If people don't want to help that's their choice, but not to add hardship to someone who is already down. 

• Like 2

dicey eye
10 minutes ago, Dante said:

If people don't want to help that's their choice, but not to add hardship to someone who is already down. 

Good point.

• Like 1

John_Galt
2 hours ago, Dante said:

If people don't want to help that's their choice, but not to add hardship to someone who is already down. 

Absolutely 

andy
3 hours ago, Dante said:

Nothing seems to be safe from the sarcastic jibe, or judgement, on some poor bastards tragedy,

Unfortunately it seems to be the nature of some people here. They seem to feed off the misery and misfortune's of others, it could be that it makes them feel good, or even feeding from the posters reactions toward a comment they made, possible their playing a roll, not themselves but another character, a fictitious person being more of a game play. Or simply just an expat heartless bastard.

You said in your post "Sorry I hadn't intended on a whinge", Why not many do on forums, ether it's not to bother someone close to them, or they don't have someone to talk with, or just letting off steam. 

Also "I'll blame you for making me post this....bad joke"! I am happy you had made a post, it's good to hear from you. And no joke, you had done exactly that, posted a return of my post....no joke.

Your right with the deaths practically every second day, there seems to be quite a few more then usual just lately, how would it compare with your own country? I know I have lost family and friends in my country, and also lost friends here too.

You and others take a lot for granted in terms of healthcare in their own countries. That is a very serious point, basically here it is a very poor service, unless you have plenty of money, and that in some cases would not help, I could use my case for example, even that it was agreed for the surgeon in Phnom Penh to assess my situation and me paying monies to get there for the appointment, on arrival the receptionist phoned him, she spoke in good English, "the doctor will not see you, due to soon it is holiday time he will spend with his family" it would be better if you leave and seek treatment elsewhere. It makes you think, what if I was unconscious on arrival, would you think they would have pushed the wheelchair that I was seated, outside in the street and let me die? Why not they let their own people die in the street. It sounds inhumane for someone in the medical profession not to care for the people who need their services. I have a few examples - the other forum I knew of someone he had TB, I gave him some advice he agreed upon, but told me it was too late and he could not get the treatment, he knew it was only time before he would die, I never had word from him again. An American friend had got the liver flukes and intestinal parasites, one of the 6 tablets to help cure are $1 here, that is until they recently banned them from pharmacy's. He is now back in the states, and the same tablet cost him $62. Now he has his Medicare and receives good treatment. Thailand are on a bit of a clean up of the problem at this time, I wonder if the now banned tablets have made it for their paying people, or is that too cynical of me to say. 100,000 people die of this every year in SE Asia.

You talk of security, and home comforts, you would do the same here with the home comforts, just has you have in your own country, but security is a different matter, if you are talking of protecting your possessions, and your safety it's down to common sense. for your wellbeing is another matter if it would involve outside people.                

....but at times I feel I'm not really living, like waiting until I croak and nothing. And that's what I thought, sometimes you may ponder on what you can achieve. being in two minds don't help you do anything, you have obviously weighed up the pros and cons. For now you are still within your comfort zone. Some days I wish I could turn back the clock in all honesty. 

dicey eye
1 hour ago, andy said:

Some days I wish I could turn back the clock in all honesty. 

Sad comment.

andy
27 minutes ago, dicey eye said:

Sad comment.

Yes maybe so dicey, but I didn't say were I would turn it back too...…….

Has for now I have the life I have, and only I can change it if I wanted or need too, but I suppose in the world of un-reality we may all wish at some stage we could turn back the clock to do something in a different way.

“Be the change that you wish to see in the world.”
― Mahatma Gandhi

Bill H

I pop in from time to time just to catch up on local happenings.  Perhaps the solution is to convert the forum to a Chinese Forum, from what I'm reading if you aren't Chinese in Cambodia these days, you just aren't!  Sad that.

• Funny 1