dicey eye

Rustic & Relaxing

dicey eye

Cool Lake Recreation Park Battambang - Rustic & Relaxing

On the periphery of Battambang City, around 4 or 5 kilometers from city center is a fairly new recreation spot called Cool Lake.  Been going there for over four years now since it first tentatively opened.

Cool Lake is something of a misnomer since its size is more like a pond than a lake and during the scorching hot days of spring and summer the water isn’t exactly “cool”. Nonetheless I thoroughly enjoy my excursions there.

In spite of Cool Lake’s proximity to the city it has the look and feel of a bucolic oasis. Surrounding the mini-lake are approximately twenty rustic decks/platforms perched on the steep banks. The decks are constructed in traditional Khmer style, spindlely poles, lattice decking and covered by thatched roofs for shade. The building appears to be a work in progress, since every time we go there, more decks have been built. 

Diving from the platforms which are 4 meters above the water’s surface into lake is a hoot. Signs posted around the lake state the depth of the water is 18 meters so diving or cannonball jumping is pretty much hazard free, not gonna hit bottom. Though climbing back up by the rickety ladders is daunting.

Cool Lake additionally has inner tubes, flotation devices and kayaks to use. 

One big plus for us is the traditional Khmer cuisine and ice-cold drinks served to the deck by a smiling waiter…. the frog dish in particular is nicely seasoned and fresh off the grill.

All in all a pleasant way to relax and enjoy Mother Nature’s bounty.

• Like 1

pip khmer cowgirl

A nice place to cool down on a hot day.

andy
On 7/26/2019 at 1:26 PM, dicey eye said:

Been going there for over four years now since it first tentatively opened.

Is that the one we sort out off of road 57 those years ago?  Returning from the bat caves I seem to recall. I still can't get over that view from the hill, looking over the farm lands.

WP_20160507_002.thumb.jpg.d8be33b21e7a099cbb5830108d9c5a97.jpg

That little fellow just wanting to keep on shaking Pips hand.

WP_20160507_034.thumb.jpg.8b87b0de56152c5783b7234c167902d6.jpg

Yes! Good view.

WP_20160506_004.thumb.jpg.ae967944c8c1caff4f64b8af3a7a40c9.jpg

Time to cool down with a dip and then something to eat, good food there too.

• Like 1

dicey eye
5 hours ago, andy said:

Time to cool down with a dip and then something to eat, good food there too.

So you remember Cool Lake on the outskirts  of BTB - thanks for showing me the hidden jewel. Have been there many times since then. Its been remodeled now and not quite so rustic as before.

andy
5 hours ago, dicey eye said:

So you remember Cool Lake on the outskirts  of BTB - thanks for showing me the hidden jewel. Have been there many times since then. Its been remodeled now and not quite so rustic as before.

I am happy it's still open and giving you and many more people, the pleasures of that exquisite gem down that little dirt lane off road 57. Too be honest it was like finding an oasis in the heat of Battambang, that summer was particular hot and humid. Just so inviting to have a dip late afternoon, and a bite to eat with a cold beer, relaxing, peaceful place it was, only noise at times was, that of youngsters playing in the water. 

I don't know if you were with us when there was an incident (I think possibly you and Pip were there). There was a big commotion, It turned out to be two young men (late teens) had jumped off the wooden shelters, where they were eating with their friends. They realised the two had not come too the surface for some time, one, the friends or family dragged out first. he wasn't too good from his ordeal, but I recall the second one never recovered, it was too late when they found him under the water. It was a very unfortunate, tragic incident, most people would have thought this would have been the end of Cool Lake. But I am glad it is not so, the lake is good for people, but responsible care must be taken, by any water.

I am glad we found it at the time, we past the sign (បឹង) on our left has we rode toward Phnom Sampov, our goal meeting with Pips little friends, with the large bag of food you were carrying on the moto for their treat of the day. And they certainly had the best feed of the day.

WP_20160507_027.thumb.jpg.5ecbed51443c572d27bdc104e05e4cea.jpg   WP_20160507_030.thumb.jpg.eef204ab51d76c4ad114bb397660f5b0.jpg

Place to pray                                                                               Buddhist cave

WP_20160507_017.thumb.jpg.e16f126f7c80379f05bfe50fcf4fe84a.jpg          20190304_141424.thumb.jpg.a8555be9f22591aebf544be816475d45.jpg    

Pip caringly giving one of the little people a drink.                  Buddha and to the right of him (about 50+ metre) is the Bat cave of Phnom Sampovbat. 

WP_20160506_006.thumb.jpg.b2681cc6c6ca8d407b70db04ebf11916.jpg

The adventure down that dry, dusty rocky track from spotting the little roadside sign. Cool Lake.

Edited by andy
  • Like 1