dicey eye

Shadow Eats in Pizza-land

dicey eye

Ahh, pizza, when done right, so delectable. Conversely when done wrong, so disgusting.
Case in point the fare served at Pizza Company.
A couple months ago I was coerced (railroaded?) into dining at the Pizza Company branch at Sorya Shopping Center in Phnom Penh by Pip and her family.
They were obviously beguiled by the up-scale foreignness of the eatery; to see and be seen with all the nouveau riche Khmers that dine there.
They ordered a couple of the crazy combo pizzas with stuffed crust and an appetizer of bacon and cheese twists plus soft drinks.
The food arrived in a timely manner. Pip’s mother, brother and sister half-heartedly picked at the food; nowhere near gobbling it down. Not exactly an enthusiastic response. Somebody suggested we move on and find some Khmer food.
I, being “old school”, didn’t wanna waste the close to twenty-five dollar bill without polishing off at least half of it, so I tried to make a dent in all the left-overs. Bad idea. The base was doughy and the seasoning defined “boring”. Even yours truly, Mr. Waste-not, couldn’t choke it down. Forget the darn “doggy bag”.
It was the kinda pizza someone would eat that had never tasted the real McCoy Italian style. Was thoroughly bland, Americanized shadow pizza.
My experience is: the more different varieties of pizza a place serves, the worse the pizza. The pizza law of diminishing returns. Or to quote the influential modernist architect, Mies van der Rohe, “less in more”. The unfortunate reality appears to be that pizza gimmicks are only an attempt to disguise mediocre quality with novelty items. Pizza Company has at least a dozen different kinds of pizza gimmicks to choose from.
Nuff said.

Pizza Company.jpg

Edited by dicey eye
  • Like 1

John_Galt

Their pizza is too expensive for what you get. 

The Pizza company seems to be more of a status resturuant. People want to be seen eating there. 

• Like 1

dicey eye
6 hours ago, John_Galt said:

seems to be more of a status resturuant. People want to be seen eating there. 

Similar to my observation in the review: "They were obviously beguiled by the up-scale foreignness of the eatery; to see and be seen with all the nouveau riche Khmers that dine there."

• Like 1

scoffer

I was in Camb visiting wife and family 2 weeks ago.

The sister in law took us to Aeon Mall 

She took all of us ( 7 people ) to eat at Pizza Co.

It was the vilest, worst tasting food that I had been served in Cambodia.

All of us, including the step son who is 15 and will eat anything available because he is growing into his new body could not eat the food.

It was fucking uneatable.

However the Sister in Law,  just smiled and paid the bill.

dicey eye
1 hour ago, scoffer said:

It was the vilest, worst tasting food that I had been served in Cambodia.

Bingo!

Actually Pizza Company pizza is a misnomer - 'cause whatever it is that they serve, it sure isn't pizza.

Barf-a-rama!

John_Galt

You guys better not try Aloha pizza. 

dicey eye
5 hours ago, John_Galt said:

You guys better not try Aloha pizza

What the heck is that?????

Never heard of it.

John_Galt
5 hours ago, dicey eye said:

What the heck is that?????

Never heard of it.

Well it is not pizza! 

Has that weird mayo instead of pizza sauce. 

Most Aloha Pizza places are from food carts. 

In Poipet there is an actual sit down restaurant. 

andy
On 9/6/2019 at 8:24 PM, John_Galt said:

Well it is not pizza

Well it is Thai Pizza! And haven't they done well there in every town in Cambodia, and has John says sit down restaurant, have in Phnom Penh too. I bet they have more.

I had Thai pork green curry tonight just to keep up with the two of you, with your fast convenient food.

20190908_000300.thumb.jpg.17083898db5a619e20ae7276a7419d43.jpg

Deli Thai cpYam food excellence mark. Wow yippie what an evening treet. If you like hot you got to try this package take-away. Yes it's cooked from frozen in the store (Circle K)

by microwave.  

20190908_000212.thumb.jpg.71e524e732bb58d83ed5fe33d5ac12d1.jpgI actually had eaten them in Thailand before. Too be fair I don't think any of the food suits us, but you know their all international big sellers. 

• Like 1

Jools

If it's not "Happy Pizza", I am not interested.