dicey eye

Back in Myanmar

dicey eye

Now for the 4th time I've relocated to Myanmar for gainful employment. Living in Mandalay again. Teaching as usual.

• Like 1

phuketrichard

what?? ur wife wouldn't pay you enough to help run her school? LOL

dicey eye

Yeah, she's stingy. Myanmar pays double what she offered me.

Really, had a commitment two months before she purchased school. Didn't want to break the contract. Sopheap's School has highly professional teachers, they better be, they are making nearly triple the salary than any other school.

All teachers have been there 3 years, they can run the school fine, especially with wife overseeing them.

Within 24 hours of arrival in Myanmar bought a Chinese motorcycle from Zack. found a cheapo ($78 per month) proletariat house 20 meters from work so I'll save US$400 from the allotted housing allowance every month. Teaching extra Saturday classes so I'll save my entire actual salary and more monthly.

And I also have a fondness for Mandalay.

Edited by dicey eye

andy

On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 4:07 PM, dicey eye said:

Yeah, she's stingy. Myanmar pays double what she offered me.

How your saying this, it sounds expensive from the outset, and also with you saying that you yourself must work in another country whom pay more than Cambodia is just confusing the issues. So you're school is paying triple wages/salary than any other school. Then you yourself are getting paid double the money they're getting paid.

Is it that the highly professional teachers are Khmer at Sopheap's new school? I mean this is actually all just confusing and also immaterial to the running of the new businesses adventure. If it's been running successfully for three years at good profits then it's not worthwhile to change anything. But it depends upon your business planning, being that there is always room for improvement and facilities. There is the fact of your long term experience in the line of work that's so familiar to yourselves, not like many I read of just get the holiday money built up and run. I certainly don't think that is righteous on the employer or the kids that are supposed to be schooled. Although it had surprised me of what kind of wealth is actually in this country, considering what school fees are for children whom are going to have education from a foreign teacher, on the other hand it's not unlike any other country where we see rich and poor. But also in those first world countries the poor may have some kind of assistance very unlike here where the wealth gap can be huge without any conditions or concerns about the less fortunate. I at times find this one of the difficult things to understand after such atrocities that the Khmer people had suffered. I mean this is not an isolated area of the capital city, it's widespread around the whole of Cambodia and even more so now with more foreign investment rather than that of mainly once donation of aid and help from government's and charities. 

Yes I think most schools have room for improvement and new type facilities with new types of added subjects that l don't see on offer, or anyone trying to carry out. I don't know what your school fees or schedule is, but again it comes from the past owners who have done well in the time of setup till now, don't change if running successfully. It's certainly not needed to upset the running, being that it is easy to upset the balance of the apple cart. It also seems that from your low cost living, like you are going to do once more, that you have minimised over the time to make all this possible.

I say all the very best to the both of you, and so much success for the future of your students. 

dicey eye

The comment about Pip being stingy was a joke. I'm stingy. I was not being paid any salary.

I had signed a contract before actually purchasing the school. At that time I wasn't sure the purchase would actually be finalized. A contract is my word and I won't break that.

The teachers are great, the physical structure needs alot of fixing, at least $10K worth. I'll save that during my contract period. Then I can return and build up the business.

• Like 1

dicey eye

A handful of snaps of my neighbors in Mandalay.

72962666_1207878796089903_759904805584896000_n.jpg

75553025_481815362413702_5798868197981552640_n.jpg

73297510_946070655757207_5024180037654413312_n.jpg

73217462_390651275175444_1680293409236975616_n.jpg

• Like 1

John_Galt
On 10/22/2019 at 4:07 PM, dicey eye said:

Within 24 hours of arrival in Myanmar bought a Chinese motorcycle

How is their driving as compared to Cambodia?

dicey eye
4 hours ago, John_Galt said:

How is their driving as compared to Cambodia?

In Mandalay the traffic police are stricter, actively enforce the traffic laws so the driving is less wild. Drivers are still aggressive and impatient but obey the rules more.

• Like 2

dicey eye

The traffic fines are higher too. In Cambodia usual fine for no helmet is  $2.50, while in Myanmar the fine is $23. No seat belt on driver or passenger in auto fine is $25. Rigidly enforced. Run stop light also $20 to $30 fine.

Edited by dicey eye

dicey eye

Interior of my rental house in Mandalay.

House Shrine (1).jpg

House Shrine (3).jpg