dicey eye

A Fan of Fans

dicey eye

AC is Appealing but…
Sure air con is a wonderful relief from the oppressive heat common to most of Cambodia. Its chill-factor can’t be denied.
Though due to my limited retirement income, less than $500 per month, AC is just too costly an indulgence. My Cambodian family includes a wife, her mother and her grandson. AC is a too expensive proposition within my financial parameters. I’m a fan of fans for my cooling purposes. With fans the electricity bill runs less than $20 per month.
Another reason AC is too rich for me is its long term financial impact. Through trial and error we discovered many years ago that use of AC 10 hours a day adds another $150 per month to the electricity bill. $150 times 12 months equals $1800 per year to stay cool. In a span of ten years $18,000 would be saved; which is enough to buy a house in PoiPet.
To update our AC experience three months ago after nine years of shunning AC we gave AC another try for a month. With AC the bill was $193, the following month without AC the bill was $15; in PoiPet the cost is quoted in Thai Baht. See attached photo of monthly bill.
We now own two houses in Cambodia primarily due to money saved by not using AC. Additionally we rent out the first floor of one house for $100 per month to enhance our limited income. The other is wife’s mother’s abode.
Sure AC is wonderful, though home ownership is a better option for me.

118580448_2257633844383034_5737799891560980258_n.jpg

Edited by dicey eye

dicey eye

I kinda like the philosophy of Friedrich Nietzsche: “That which does not kill us makes us stronger.” Lived 22 years in Central America without AC and lived 12 years in SEA without AC.
I'm 73 and lack of AC hasn't had an adverse effect on me physically or emotionally. As Nietzsche inferred, maybe no AC made me stronger.

I’m one of the so-called Baby Boomer generation where purchasing real estate was a priority issue. Had 3 houses and a hotel in the US and two houses plus island property and a Pre-School in Belize.

Other than real estate I’m not materialist one iota.

John_Galt

That is a lot of savings over time. 

NotSure

Thanks for the price breakdown Dicey. I have never had A/C here but was thinking of outfitting the spare room with one for when someone in the house gets a fever. At that price per day I think we'll just go to a hotel.

Bill H

Retired, Dicey Eye?  Are schools still closed down there?  They are mostly open here.