dicey eye

Destiny Cafe Overrated

dicey eye

Contrary to the majority of critiques for Destiny Café in PoiPet all over cyberspace I was underwhelmed my both the bland cuisine and the gloomy atmosphere.
Even though I’ve resided in PoiPet for over 3 years this was my first visit.
Sunday afternoon I had a hankering for French fries and a burger. Which is rare for me. I normally shy away from popular western fare like burgers and gravitate towards local dishes.
That said, I gave into my burger craving and headed to Destiny Café which is located about a kilometer from my house.
The interior is cavernous, austerely decorated and dimly lit. Atmosphere was uncomfortably stark. The place looks like it could comfortably seat 50 even with Cobid 19 safety distancing. We were there from about 3:30 to 4:30 PM and were the only customers there. Eerie feel; similar to the ambiance at a funeral parlor.
I ordered the beef burger and fries while my partner ordered the French toast, bacon and eggs breakfast combo.
Food arrived over a half hour after ordering. A lengthy wait for basic fast food meals, me thinks.
The burger visually was impressive; unfortunately its taste was nondescript to the point of insipid. Asked for some condiments to liven it up, the standard array of spices like parsley, basil, thyme, oregano, marjoram, savory, garlic, chili powder and especially Tabasco sauce or a dab of mustard, and was told none were available. For me burgers require some jazzy spices to be palatable. The lack of condiments to complement and enrich the flavor made my burger substandard. On the positive side the fries were first rate.
My partner was underwhelmed also by the fake bacon and runny eggs. She left an egg and slice of French toast on her plate which surprised me, for she usually gobbles down everything served her.
For me Destiny Café was a somewhat disappointing dining experience.

• Like 1