Jools

The magazine "International Living" says Cambodia is now the cheapest retirement destination in Asia.

Jools

Do those of you who live there, agree or disagree?  Just curious. I see evidence of disagreement on other fora.

dicey eye

I tried to access that"International Living" report but was denied viewing. Would like to see their data.

Jools

I used to be a subscriber until I moved to Thailand. They still send me advertising. That's where I saw the reference. I am sure there is a report, but I am not buying a new subscription to access it. Several expats, such as the You Tuber "American In Bangkok" have disputed Cambodia's cost of living in the past. I suppose it's a matter of what's important to you. I know that the medical situation in Cambodia is not on par with Thailand, but housing costs may be lower. I have since deleted the advertisement or I would include it here. I was mainly trying to validate it. I need to move out of Thailand because of the idiotic visa situation here. I am looking toward the Philippines, but Cambodia is on my radar, as well.

dicey eye

I've been in Cambodia since 2008. I find it quite inexpensive.

Though what I find cozy and comfortable other expats might not concur.

This is what popped up when accessing it.

Screenshot_2020-10-24 403 Forbidden.png

Edited by dicey eye

dicey eye

If I didn't have so much baggage - a Khmer common law wife (32 years my junior), her mother and grandson to maintain - I could live comfortably on $500 per month. Add another $250 for them.

If were single I'd rent an efficiency apartment for $60 per month tops. Allow $10 per day food and drink, (cooking 2 meals a day at apartment and eating out one meal). Once a year pay around $300 for a one year multiple entry visa.

John_Galt
On 10/24/2020 at 3:27 PM, dicey eye said:

It seems their website is not working. I have tried it with a VPN from multiple countries also didnt work. 

John_Galt
On 10/23/2020 at 6:38 PM, Jools said:

Do those of you who live there, agree or disagree?  Just curious. I see evidence of disagreement on other fora.

Its got to be relatively the same. Depends on your own life style.

But everything made in Thailand or Vietnam then imported into Cambodia is going to be slightly more expensive. 
There is a plastic table I bought in Poipet for $4 but in Battambang the exact same table is $8. 

Jools
On 10/24/2020 at 3:27 PM, dicey eye said:

International Living has a Facebook page, as well.

Bill H

I've never been a big fan of that rag.  Their articles always seemed out of date or just plain wrong to me.  I enjoyed my time in Cambodia very much.  My former landlord in Snooky tells my wife the apartment we paid $125 a month for, now goes for four times that.  As far as I can tell, the Chinese have taken over much of Cambodia to the detriment of Cambodians and foreigners who are not Chinese.  Dicey eye is a great guy, but the last I heard, he does not live in the areas of Cambodia which are now dominated by the Chinese.  He also lives a very spartan lifestyle which works for him, but might not work for others so well.  I'm told there are now no foreigners left in snooky who are not Chinese.  So I think one has to factor any information read on the Internet and perhaps make an exploratory trip to see for one's self.  I do know Dicey would make a great guide for you.